Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

270 and h4831

Old 03-26-2016, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Did you full length size your cases? Even new cases need to be sized.
If you did size them are you sure your sizing die is far enough into your press? You should have it so, with the ram at its upper most position, screw the die down until it contacts the shell holder, lower the ram and screw the die down another 1/4 turn and lock in place.
It sounds to me as though your case shoulder is not correct or your case overall case length is too long and needs trimming. (your case is entering the barrel with the bullet seating. This is a dangerous situation.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

PM sent for data
Old 03-26-2016, 11:57 PM
Spike

Bronko it was once fired rws brass most of it should be from my rifle but sometimes I fire another 270 and with the off chance maybe get some mixed up I wouldn't take any chances I full length resized them all as I'm only starting I watched videos on setting a die up the way it was set up way put the ram up screw down n til it touches then BACK OFF a qtr turn I thought you only went further if. You were crimping the round? These are hunting rounds from a sako ba, rifle I had it in my head to just always full length resize to be safer or does it not matter once bullets are fire formed? I did use lube on the cases but maybe not enough would this have caused anything? The bullets were stuff to go through the sizing but not that it needed lots of force, it says on the tub less is better than more not to lube the neck but to live inside the neck maybe I didn't live inside the neck enough? Some of the rounds chambered fine but for safety sake should I just pull these bullets and throw the cases? I was trimming the cases with the lee length huge but when I measured they were trimming 0.005 under the min so I measured the cases and they were only 0.002 or 0.003 over the min so decided to just use them as is? Sounds like they ain't worth firing I don't want to take any chances this reloadings hard work lol the cases do have die marks ( don't have them to hand) so at a guess a qtr inch from the bottom
Old 04-11-2016, 07:23 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
My fav .270 Win load is 54 gr of IMR4350 under a Nosler 130 gr Ballistic Tip. That load was the most accurate in my rifle and in a couple others too.
That is favorite of mine too!
Old 04-13-2016, 09:34 AM
Spike

Suggest Reloader 22 @ 61.0 with 130gr Partition in the 270 Win
Old 12-15-2016, 08:00 PM
Spike

H4831sc 59g under nosler partition spitzer have had great success with this load.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lakies
Bronko it was once fired rws brass most of it should be from my rifle but sometimes I fire another 270 and with the off chance maybe get some mixed up I wouldn't take any chances I full length resized them all as I'm only starting I watched videos on setting a die up the way it was set up way put the ram up screw down n til it touches then BACK OFF a qtr turn I thought you only went further if. You were crimping the round? These are hunting rounds from a sako ba, rifle I had it in my head to just always full length resize to be safer or does it not matter once bullets are fire formed? I did use lube on the cases but maybe not enough would this have caused anything? The bullets were stuff to go through the sizing but not that it needed lots of force, it says on the tub less is better than more not to lube the neck but to live inside the neck maybe I didn't live inside the neck enough? Some of the rounds chambered fine but for safety sake should I just pull these bullets and throw the cases? I was trimming the cases with the lee length huge but when I measured they were trimming 0.005 under the min so I measured the cases and they were only 0.002 or 0.003 over the min so decided to just use them as is? Sounds like they ain't worth firing I don't want to take any chances this reloadings hard work lol the cases do have die marks ( don't have them to hand) so at a guess a qtr inch from the bottom
OK, lets break this down a bit and see what happens.
You run the die down to touching and then back the ram up a bit and turn the die down an extra 1/4 turn as you were instructed by others. Once done, resize a case and take that unprimed case and see if it will chamber. If it don't chamber like a factory round, you may have the turn the die a tad more to back the shoulder up a bit more. Too much and you reset the shoulder too much and it won't chamber at all.

What type of lube are you using and are you lubing the shoulder area or just the case body? Use too much and you will have cases coming out with dents on the shoulder area. You also need to be sure to lube inside the case mouth to ensure the expander ball passes easily to keep from binding in the die or tearing the case rim off resulting in a stuck case. I use Hornady Spray lube and love it. I also go an extra step and use a case lube neck brush to every other case to ensure I don't over stress the case mouths. I then mic each case for max case length and sort out those that are within .005 of max for trimming later.
As long as they are below the max trim length is fine as you have measured them. Set your case trimmer to minimum length and you will be fine. Trim a case, measure, adjust if necessary.
I would pull the projectiles, put some water in the case to deaden the primer, lube the case correctly, resize after setting the die up correctly and then chamber one and see how things are going. Good luck and let us know back.

Last edited by SecondChance; 12-18-2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 01-06-2017, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

Broncos load of 54gr Imr and 130gr.Nosler bt is my most accurate in a Rem 700
Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 PM
Typical Buck

My son uses either 57 of H4831SC with no issues with 140gr bullets in his 270.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

I must have an oddball 270. Mine hates H4831 under a 130 grain bullet, but it shoots sub .5" MOA with IMR 4350.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.