HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Hornady ELD-X, Accubond LR or Barnes LRX? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/404902-hornady-eld-x-accubond-lr-barnes-lrx.html)

Brandon_SPC 02-28-2016 08:19 PM

Hornady ELD-X, Accubond LR or Barnes LRX?

So I just got a 300 Ultra in Remington 700 SPS 26" barrel (stock has been replaced to Bell and Carlson) and is top with a Vortex PST 4-16X50 MRAD. I have an elk hunt in November and will be starting to work up loads. I plan to eventually start shooting this rifle out to 1,000 yards (just to say I can and not for hunting that is a long ways down the road) but would like y'alls preference on what bullet you would choose. I figured if I can get a load worked up to shooting less than an inch at 100 yards I will be on the right track (I am new to reloading). I have always shot Hornady SSTs and Interlock and love them on deer. I want to try and stay around the 200gr weight due to the better BCs and I have a feeling if I shoot 165 or even 180s I will burn the barrel out faster. Both Hornady and accubonds are cheaper than the Barnes but I want everyone's preference and opinion because I have not used Barnes or Nosler so I don't know performance to expect. Shots where I will be hunting can range from a few yards out to 500-600 yards. The powder I will be working loads up with first will be Reloader 25, Norma brass , CCI Magnum Rifle primers. I hope this helps.

Nomercy448 02-28-2016 09:02 PM

Having faith that Hornady does their homework before releasing bullets for specific purposes, I would rank them - without adding any other bullet choices to the mix:

Nosler Accubond LR
Hornady ELD-X
Barnes LRX

But honestly, the proper process is to throw a bunch of loads together and see which your rifle likes best.

buffybr 02-29-2016 11:54 AM

Like Nomercy posted, only your rifle can tell you which bullet it will shoot best.

I've shot a pile of elk, with bullets from each of the manufacturers that you mentioned, but not with those particular bullets. I don't have any doubts that any of those bullets will work, IF they are shot into the proper place.

Your bullet choice may be limited to what is available to buy. I've also never shot a 30 caliber bullet heavier than 180 grains, but one big advantage of your 30 RUM is that it will push the heavier bullets, so if you can find any of those bullets in 200 grains, buy a box or a box of each and just try them.

Blackelk 03-01-2016 02:59 AM

Don't skip over Berger. They seem to shoot well if not all too well.

Brandon_SPC 03-03-2016 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Blackelk (Post 4247478)
Don't skip over Berger. They seem to shoot well if not all too well.

I'm just worried about the Berger if an elk pop up at like 50 yards. Assuming you have experience with them can you enlighten me on the under a 100 yards if you have used them? Do they actually penetrate into the animal's cavity then dump all of it's energy (like they claim) or say you hit a shoulder completely blow up a shoulder like an SST does to a deer? Still getting into the cavity but completely tears that shoulder up beyond belief...

And thanks guys for all the responses.

jeepkid 03-03-2016 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Brandon_SPC (Post 4247859)
I'm just worried about the Berger if an elk pop up at like 50 yards. Assuming you have experience with them can you enlighten me on the under a 100 yards if you have used them? Do they actually penetrate into the animal's cavity then dump all of it's energy (like they claim) or say you hit a shoulder completely blow up a shoulder like an SST does to a deer? Still getting into the cavity but completely tears that shoulder up beyond belief...

And thanks guys for all the responses.

The Berger and ABLR will act about the same at shorter ranges. The ABLR is designed for hunting past 400 yards so if the majority of your shots are under that then stick with the regular Accubond.

Ridge Runner 03-03-2016 02:14 PM

this is what a regular accubond does on the way out on the backside of a whitetail at 702 yards

I like them, I also like bergers, but with any high velocity round, stay off of heavy bone on close shots, go for a lung shot. whatever shoots best is what I'd use
RR

bronko22000 03-04-2016 05:04 PM

The Hornady ELRs are fairly new but as I understand it the only ones currently that has a tip that doesn't burn off or deform way downrange. I haven't tried them yet but I've had good success with the Nosler Accubonds. And my friend swears by the devastation and accuracy of the Barnes 180 gr TSX and rightly so. I've seen him drop a bull elk at 298 yards right where he stood and also a fairly decent sized bull moose at about 125 yards DRT. After I watched him drop the moose it made a believer out of me too. They will be in my magazine on our next hunt.

Brandon_SPC 03-08-2016 06:19 PM

Thanks guys I'm just waiting on the Vortex to come in the mail so I can make a range trip to test some loads out. I already have some Barnes LRX and the Hornady ELD-X so I will load those first (since I have them) if I can't get anything out of those then I will buy some Accubonds.