Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Best Brass

Old 02-16-2016, 04:04 PM
Spike

Default Best Brass

Hi guys, long time reloader here with a quick question. I shoot Winchester brass in my hunting rifles. If I were to switch to a better brand of brass, say Lupa and maybe shoot match primers would I get any better accuracy? Not that I am complaining about Winchester brass but I am starting to practice at 200-300 yards instead of 100yds. Or would it be better to save my money and practice more?
Thx for any help.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:17 AM
Typical Buck

Honestly I believe in two theorys.
1. Good brass lasts longer but there is brass like Winchester that can last just as long.

2. Expensive brass is for long range shooters and benchrest. Do I believe Nosler brass or Lapua to be more accurate? In some calibers and rifle setups yes I do think it's a tad more accurate. Is it worth the cost? Maybe depending on the usage. If you are going to load 100's and 1000's of stock piled rounds. No Way

Lapua is great
Nosler is great
Winchester is great for the cost
Hornady is brittle
Remington stretches like a mofo
That's just my own personal conclusion on some standard made brass.

Unless your trying to take out a gnat at 1000 yards don't bother.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personally think there are more important factors than the brass.

I separate my brass by manufacturer and even by the number of reloads. Just because I'm a little anal (extremely or overly neat, careful, or precise).

IMO a good scale and good consistency control is a major factor. Seating depth of the bullet and even case length. How clean is your primer pocket etc.

Consistency is the key. And there are a whole lot of variables.

I search for the load (size and powder) and bullet my rifle likes. Maybe tweak the muzzle velocity a little up and down, just as a control.

You have the shooter, good days and bad days. You have atmospherics, temp. humidity etc.

Knowing your rifle is important. It makes a difference in how hot or warm your barrel is.

Brass IMO is a lesser factor, there are others that affect consistency more.

Know your ballistics. Some people get ate up with the X ring, the reality is the how tight is your group. You can always move the group.

In the end most rifles are more accurate than the shooter is anyway.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

In general, the gain by going to high end brass in a factory chambered rifle barrel will be minimal. It never hurts, but it may not give you any benefit, but WILL cost a lot more.

Win brass does very well for its cost. Weight sort the brass, load, shoot, and be merry.
Old 02-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

In the smaller cases, I found that weighing makes a difference. In the heavy magnums, it didn't matter a bit. Winchester brass will serve you well. As stated play with your powder choice, bullet selection, seating depth and possibly bedding.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

This..

save my money and practice more?
Old 03-20-2016, 05:40 AM
Spike

As a general rule I haven't bought anything I could not make cases for by modifying 308/7.62, 30.06 or 223 for in maybe the last 20 years.

When I started shooting highpower in 1973 the only brass I could get was left by the military teams at Oak Ridge, Tenn matches. The only 30.06 was commercial and until the DCM issued about a million rounds of M72 Match at Camp Perry.

Very few wanted it as they had converted to 7.62 years before and I was able to trade some guys out of some. I knew that was the last ship in and then I got introduced to tight chambers and now I know I can keep my rifles fed with the same cases for years.
Old 03-20-2016, 07:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hummer I have about 1000 of that LC72 brass too that I acquired a long time ago (maybe in the early 70s also). I also have some other lots of military brass.
As for commercial brass I like Winchester for my rifles and Starline for my revolver and .45-70.
Old 03-20-2016, 10:30 AM
Spike

My best cartridge is Lapua after her arrange RWS and Sako.
Old 03-20-2016, 11:31 PM
Spike

Bronko22000, when I worked for the Army Small Cal Lab at Picatinny Arsenal I lived in Pike County, PA and was a member of Matamoras Rod and Gun Club. Are you close to Pike County. I still have a good friend there who I sent some LC Match cases to for his Ruger Precision Rifle he just obtained.

Spartan 1, I know lots of guys that use Lapua 7.62 cases with great success.

I had two bad experiences with it. 30.06 and 7MM Mauser. The case heads were so soft that primers were loose on first firing and could not be reloaded. I bought a box of 30.06 and loaded half of them up and shot them in the Palma Trophy Match at Camp Perry. I won the match but had primers falling out when I opened the bolt. The following year I loaded the remaining 50 cases and won the Palma Trophy again, primers fell out again.

Loaded same load in Winchester, Remington, Lake City with no problems. Load was only 53 gr. 4350 under a 190 Winchester with Federal LR Primers and that is not hot in anyone's manual. Found same problem with 7MM Mauser. No one I ever heard of had similar problems with 7.62 which I suspect was formed to meet NATO case requirements as there is a hardness gradient requirement on NATO cases which should hold up for many reloadings.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.