Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
270 win to the max >

270 win to the max

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

270 win to the max

Old 01-22-2016, 03:30 AM
Typical Buck

Berger 150gr 300 yards 54.0gr H4831
Old 01-22-2016, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Berger 150gr 300yds 56.0gr H4831

I bumped it up two grains to test pressure and accuracy. Group was decent, second four shot group was strung vertical 2 1/4". I came home and put some more sand in the rear bag to stiffen it up.

Even the second group is under MOA so I guess I should be okay with these loads. Shooting clover leaf groups at 300+ may not be in my personal capability and I should stop trying to get the gun to do so. For a Ruger No 1 and a Weaver classic V scope it's doing well.
Old 01-24-2016, 06:13 AM
Typical Buck

I tested the 170gr Berger EOL. 56gr of H4831 average velocity was 2940fps. It was shooting 3/4" groups at 200yards. I sighted it in at 200 yards ran a cheat sheet on it and shoot in our steel challenge match yesterday. I came in 2nd out of 14 shooters. At 600yards it is on same trajectory as the Berger 150gr VLD with alot more ft lbs and equal accuracy. I will tweak this load for accuracy but I'm done. I just thought some would enjoy the results that have come from using a 270 win case in a rifle that was built to take it to the max. Some bolt actions I would use caution but mine has not shown excessive pressure yet. Way to go Berger......
Old 03-20-2016, 11:47 PM
Spike

Blackelk, you did not identify primers you are using. You might try different brands as changing primers can give you significant changes in your SD/ES readings.

I have conducted testing at 300 yards on chronograph using same cases, same propellant, same bullets, same rifle,same temperature and just changing primers brands and primer lots can give you big changes.

I ran Federal, Winchester, CCI and Wolfe. Lets say there were number 1, 2, 3 and 4 for test purposes.

With a given load lets say 1 was best, 2 was second best, 3 was third best and 4th was worst. I changed propellants and no 3 was best, no 1 was second best No 4 was third and so on. There was no rationale and no #1 primer across the board.

Now I have also run into similar with the same brand of primers and a different lot number.

How many rounds on your barrel? It may be time to touch up the crown on your barrel.
http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs...%5CTEGauge.htm