HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   to crimp, or not to crimp (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/40298-crimp-not-crimp.html)

mainehunt 10-17-2003 12:04 PM

to crimp, or not to crimp

I would like to know what you folks think about whether or not to crimp the bullet in the case. I think I understand the importance of crimp as far as bullet movement is concerned. ie; if the bullet isn' t crimped, then the bullets in the magazine may dislodge or move in their cases due to the recoil of the gun. Is this correct??

But, as far as accuracy is concerned, which is more accurate, crimped bullet, or un-crimped bullet?

Mykey 10-17-2003 12:16 PM

RE: to crimp, or not to crimp

I' ve never seen where a crimped bullet was anymore accurate than one that wasn' t crimped. I' ve loaded both ways and tried this and the accuracy was unchanged with my guns. The only time i crimp now is if i' m loading for an automatic where the bullets will be stacked otherwise i don' t crimp.

Quack Addict 10-17-2003 12:17 PM

Crimping prevents the bullet from moving rearward into the cartridge case during recoil or any other action that may cause the bullet to move. If the bullet moves too far out of spec (either way), dangerous pressure may result during firing.

In terms of accuracy, I personally get the best results from uncrimped loads. I don' t crimp ANY of my bolt action rifle loads, for target or hunting purposes, but I do put a mild taper crimp onto all 308 Winchester I load for my brother' s semi-auto.

Anything going into a tubular magazine MUST be crimped.

stubblejumper 10-17-2003 12:56 PM

Unless you have a tubular magazine or are talking handguns crimping is totally unnecessary and offers no advantages.

mainehunt 10-17-2003 05:04 PM

thank you, I appreciate the the quick answers. This website is awesome for just this reason. For some reason, my wife didn' t know what to do about crimping. :D
LOL

halcon 10-20-2003 11:48 PM

We load for 38-55 ,40-65, 45-70 and find that crimping gives us a better burn on the powder and improved accuracy for this type rifle and slow powders . the only other thing we crimp for is tubular feed magazines . You can read all kinds of things pro and con but I believe the best answer is try both and form your own opinion .

mainehunt 10-21-2003 07:04 AM

Thanks halcon,
I knew that I had read somewhere that crimping had something to do with accuracy, but couldn' t remember which was which.
Do you live anywhere close to Eugene, OR?

bigcountry 10-21-2003 07:40 AM

I like crimping in some situations. One for my 300RUM. With new brass crimping is a waste of time. But after 3 firings, I see brass getting hardened, and neck tension go down. So my cure before trying to aneal or sell on ebay is to crimp. Seems to bounce those groups back under 1" . All I am doing is putting the neck tension back, I know.

mainehunt 10-21-2003 10:09 AM

That' s interesting bigcountry, I never thought about the need for crimping as changing while using the same brass.
Do you crimp on a bullet that doesn' t have a " crimp groove?"

halcon 10-21-2003 02:45 PM

MaineHunter I live about 45 miles south of Eugene in a very small town ,at least close to a small town ,I live in the country .
If you are going to crimp I would spend the money and buy the Lee Precisions crimp . Its the easiest to use and case length is not as critical , with a roll crimp you need a cannelured bullet and all the cases the same length . What caliber are you considering to use a crimp on .