HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   lubing correctly? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/40204-lubing-correctly.html)

mainehunt 10-16-2003 03:28 PM

lubing correctly?

OK, OK,....I know, I should know the answer to this one. But I don' t, so I' ll do what I tell my students. " The only stupid question is the one that you DON' T ask."

I have been reloading for my 300WM. I run the cases through a full length resizing die. (Hornady) If I don' t lube enough, it runs through incredibly hard. If I lube too much, I get " ripples" on the shoulder of the case.
What do I do here?? What is the " rule of thumb?"

Also, here' s another, Should there be lube on the INSIDE of the neck when resizing??

ColoradoElk 10-16-2003 04:10 PM

RE: lubing correctly?

Hi Maine:

I pour a line of the RCBS case lube on the pad, then run 5 or 6 cases over the line to rub it into the pad, then dump those cases back into the " pile" of other cases. Doing it that way, I have not had problems at either extreme...

The interior of the neck should be lubricated when loading bottleneck cases.

Vapodog 10-16-2003 06:16 PM

I use a spray lube.....load a loading block full of brass and make a medium paced pass at the brass at about 45 deg to the length of the case (assuring that a little lube will get into the inside of the neck)...keep the spray about 9" from the target.

Spray from all four sides.

I use Lyman but all companys have a spray lube. Lots of folks like Hornady' s " one-shot" .

It' s just a matter of trial and error as to how much. Better to over lube than under lube....a stuck case is a real pain. Those dents are just cosmetic.....I know...you don' t like them either.

Lube the inside?.....ABSOLUTELY!!!!

handloader1 10-16-2003 10:59 PM

I like to place a small amount of lube in the neck, but make sure to clean the cases in a case tumbler, so contamination to the powder will not occur. One can also use ground mica to lube case necks when neck sizing. Good luck.

mainehunt 10-17-2003 04:41 AM

Thanks to you all. I' ll try all the methods and see what works the best for me.

drichi 10-17-2003 08:15 AM

Give imperial sizing wax a try. I have found that if you apply sparingly with your fingers that you can control exactly where it is applied and sizes very easily and cleans off very easily. I also like to just dip the neck into imperial dry neck lube. It is a dry powder.

MOTurkeyTamer 10-18-2003 09:00 PM

I also use Imperial Sizing Wax when full length resizing. It is a little slower and time consuming to use than some lubes but is very effecient and clean to use. I' ve never had a stuck case using it. I also use ground mica to lube the inside of the case necks. The combination of the two makes for smooth and effortless full length sizing. As far as the dents in the shoulders, that is just a trial and error thing that you will get better at with experience. With just the right amount of lube, you will get smooth operation and dent free shoulders on your cases.:) Too much lube and there' s those ugly dents![:@]

Rodsmith 10-19-2003 04:02 AM

are the dents from pockets of excess lube itself? What causes the dents? I have not seen this in the cases I load but only the 270 has a real shoulder to it. The rest are relatively straight

Deleted User 10-19-2003 06:07 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

mainehunt 10-19-2003 06:06 PM

Rodsmith,
Is your question real, or are you kidding? There are tons of cases that have a shoulder.
223, 243, 7.62x39, 30-06, 25-06, 300 mag, just to name what I own.
Any case that is not straight,........... almost, has a shoulder.