Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

30-06 bullet

Old 12-15-2014, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I keep finding myself coming back to this thread, but I was hesitant to post until now simply because I know that this is a "do as I say, not as I do" issue, or a "if you asked me for advice, I'd tell you to use X, but I use Y".

I'd recommend a few other bullets in front of it, but "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I've been using Winchester 150grn Ballistic Silvertips (or handloads with the same bullet - Nosler/Winchester "Combined Technology" BST) exclusively in one of my .30-06's for coming up on 20yrs, and have killed over a hundred deer with them. I've had ONE splash that I hit square in the near shoulder, a buddy shot her a half mile away. Field dressing is much like serving stew - their innards are liquefied. Meat damage isn't bad unless you hit the near shoulder, exit wounds are reasonable. Bullet weight retention is low - jacket almost always separates from core, but I've had less than a handful of them not produce an exit wound.

If a guy asked me, I'd recommend a 165 or 168grn bullet in the .30-06, and I'd probably recommend an A-max, Interbond, SST, or Partition. Or for factory loads, the Core-lokt, Win Silverips or Power Points, or ANY cup and core expander would do the job. I've loaded and killed deer with .30-06, 308, and 300WM with other bullets over the years, but I've just never been motivated to use anything in that rifle except for the Winchester 150grn BST, or handload of the same bullet.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

165's will do it all for you. Hornady and Speer makes a great bullet.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

When I had my 30-06 I used Hornady SST 150gr and the Hornady American Whitetail 150gr Interlock. Now I just use the Hornady American Whitetail 130gr Interlock for my .270. Haven't had a deer run over 40 yards. Only difference really between the two is one is a lead tip and the SST is plastic. Both turn the insides to liquid. Now you probably won't get a pass through shooting a deer close. The ones I have shot 50 yards and closer the bullet just dumps all its energy into the animal. Now the deer I shot at 120 yards last year had a pass through with a baseball size hole on the other side.

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 12-20-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

For deer and hogs and black bear its hard to beat a nice 180 grain bullet. But I would be willing to bet that a 165 would shoot better out of your Savage. The reason I say this is that I owned the same rifle and when I spoke to Savage they told me that they use a 168 gr. bullet for testing in the 30-06. Also, IMO, you really don't need a premium bullet for these critters. Not putting them down, just that they aren't needed. I used a Sierra Game King 180 gr bullet to take a decent bull moose this past fall. Other good non-premium bullets are the good old reliable Hornady Interlock bullets and Speer. Should you decide to go with a premium bullet the Nosler Accubond is an excellent choice as is the Barnes TSX.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

Default 30-06

I have a Husqvarna 1640 with a 23.5" barrel. It will shoot Winchester Super-X 165 gr. PSP's into (1) ragged hole at 100 yards. This factory load is rated at 2800 fps and over my chronograph average velocity is 2749 fps.

If you reload, I load the 150 gr. Sierra ProHunter to a little over 3000 fps with RL15 & it performs 1/2 MOA at 100 yards for 3 shot groups. Average velocity is 3016 fps.