HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Bolt not closing??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/39377-bolt-not-closing.html)

LAHUNTER 10-07-2003 08:05 PM

Bolt not closing???

I have had this problem before and still never got it fixed, yet. My bolt will not fully close when I chamber a shell that I have reloaded. I full length sized the shell, cut case to just under specs, seated bullet to specs (or just under) and still the bolt won' t close. I have tried numerous things, but to no avail.

I was wondering, how far does your resizing die go down on your case. Does it go all the way down, or does it stop about a 1/2" above the primer? I have taken a pic of a reloaded shell (top). My dies stop at the line (where the pen is pointing). Is this normal, or is it supposed to resize all the way to the bottom of the case? It seems to get really tight in my gun near the bottom of the case. Someone please help me with this one. Thanks.

ColoradoElk 10-07-2003 08:56 PM

RE: Bolt not closing???

LA:

I had the problem you describe. I spoke (& typed) with dozens of reloaders and got responses from " bad dies" to " case bulge from a compressed load" . What ended up being the problem was that I had my seating die just a touch off. The COL was still in spec, I did the full resize, et al, but the improperly positioned die caused my cases to " bulge" .008 at the shoulder and would not chamber.

Hope that helps.

westbronco 10-07-2003 11:16 PM

You should have your F.L. sizing die adjusted to touch the shell holder when the press ram is in the full up position. However, if you are sizing cases you have fired, F.L. sizing should not be required. If the case dia. is too large you would not have been able to extract the case. The case dia. springs back from the chamber wall after firing a slight amount and therefore can be easily extracted.

That being said, you may have a problem with the case length to the shoulder growing a bit too long. After a number of firings, the brass work hardens and does not spring back as it should. This is normally corrected by F.L. sizing, but is not done when a case is neck sized only. If the F.L. die is not touching the shell holder, you are only neck sizing the case.

This can be checked by using a .45 cal. pistol case and a caliper. Place the .45 case mouth over the neck of the problem rifle case so it sits on the shoulder. Measure the length of this combination to establish a reference length. Now make the same measurement on a new case. This length should be shorter as a new case is made short enough to fit the shortest chamber allowed for that cartridge. Now F.L. resize the problem case and see if the shoulder length has shortened at all. If it has not moved and you had the die all the way down to the shell holder, you have a defective F.L. sizing die. It can be corrected by the maker or replaced.

I had this problem once with a 6mm/.284. I used the above method to prove the problem was in the die, and the manufacturer removed .005' without question. They said the shoulder should move back .001" ' to .002" on a long case of this type to allow easy chambering. Hope this helps.

Wolf killer 10-08-2003 08:40 AM

I had the same problem with my 223.
I had the same problem as ColoradoElk did. Some how my seating die moved just enough to caused a slight shoulder bulge. I reset my seating die & everything chambers.

LAHUNTER 10-08-2003 09:00 AM

Thanks for everyones replies. I don' t think my seating die is causing the problem. The reason I say this is because I measured between the reload and the factory shell, and the dimensions of the neck and shoulder were exact. So I don' t think it is that.

westbronco,
can I check the shoulder length w/ a .38 special case. That is the only other pistol case I have? will it work the same.

Thanks.

I measured the differences between the reload and the factory and they were almost identcal. The only place they differed was by the " shiny" part. (where the pen is pointing). The reload was .003" bigger. Would that small amount make a difference?

westbronco 10-08-2003 05:44 PM

LA, A .38 will work OK, but might be a bit harder to keep lined up. I liked the .45 better as it located nearer the midpoint of the shoulder and was more stable.

The .003" increase you describe is a sign of rather high pressure. How hot is that load, and does it extract easily? I would think you would be having extraction problems. Also would like to hear if you found any need to lower your sizing die to touch the shell holder.

handloader1 10-08-2003 10:16 PM

LAHUNTER:

Does the cartridge chamber if you neck-size only with a neck-sizing die? If it does, your full-length die is not adjusted right or it is defective. If a fire-formed case chambers, but after you full-size it does not, it is die adjustment or a defective die. Good luck.

LAHUNTER 10-09-2003 09:02 AM

I loaded up 16 shells last night and 12 of them fit perfect, ( checked them in my rifle). The ones that did not fit right had a small bulge near the bottom of the case. I will finish loading them up tonight and see what happens. If it doesn' t work that will mean that it is my seating die. Right??

Thanks.

westbronco 10-09-2003 02:55 PM

LA, It may be that some of your cases are a bit long and the crimping portion of your seating die is deforming the longer cases. That would be a new one on me. Usually, cases deform at the top of the case at the shoulder junction if they deform at all. Check your case lengths and trim as required.

You also may want to chamber each round after sizing to make sure they fit at that point. Try them again after seating a bullet. If they won' t chamber then, it is surely the seating die. There is always a reason and a solution. Good luck.

BigBob .30-06 10-09-2003 04:56 PM

LAHUNTER,

As already stated a full length sizing die should touch the shell holder and the ram " break over the top" with a little feel. This will result in a case that has been returned to original specs. With the die above the shell holder, the case is " partially resized" . That portion of the case that is not sized actually increases in size and will prevent the bolt closing. Even a neck sizing die should be adjusted in the same way. Your problem is quite common when an attempt is made to neck size with a full length sizing die. I hope that this is of some help. Have a good weekend.[&:]