Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 nosler partitions >

nosler partitions

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

nosler partitions

Old 10-08-2003, 10:04 AM
jjt

Default RE: nosler partitions

ps
lol not bein picky or pokin fun but with 3 shots and 3 busted shoulders, you might wanna move your targetspot 2" back!!!
lol
I would rather ruin a few pounds of meat than have to search for a deer or elk
the area i hunt is on public land and there are more than a few instances a year with people fighting over deer and elk cuz they both put bullets in them

doesnt seem to happen to me 1 shot 1 broken shoulder 1 dead animal

?? why doesnt nosler bond the front lead in there partitions
Old 10-08-2003, 02:38 PM

Red.......I agree with you,anytime you push a partition past about 2900fps you would be better served by the A-Frames,Barnes X,Trophy Bonded or Failsafes.I use a 7mm-08 and at the lower velocities find the parition still works the best for me and my type of shooting and ranges.I do however plan on trying out the Hornady Inner-bonds as soon as I get my hands on some to see if I can better my accuracy.

woods
Old 10-08-2003, 07:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

I must add here that John Nosler invented the Partition for his 300 H&H Mag. The Partition has been upgraded ten times since it first came out. It was and still is an excellent if not the best choice for all big game hunting. I like the Barnes X bullet as well and use it often if my guns will shoot them well. Across the board the Partition has bee the most accurate bullet I have ever used next to the Ballistic tip. Nosler does not recommend the ballistic tip for elk and moose except in the biggest calibers in thier heaviest weight. I also shoot some Bonded Bear Claws from time to time. In my opinion any good bullet with good shot placement will do the job well. Like I said before as well, I would not hesitate to use the Hornady Interlock on any game anywhere in the world.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:26 PM

If they bonded the front core of the partition it would stop the rapid expansion and also increase the diameter of the mushroom which would decrease the penetration.
It is perfect the way it is.
Old 10-10-2003, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Amen to that. There are a lot of good bullets out there and the partition is one of them. If at all possible I do not hit the shoulder. I am a meat hunter only. It justs destoys to much meat FOR ME.
Old 10-10-2003, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, the Partition is designed to expand rapidly in the front and punch through with the heel of the bullet. I' ve only shot 1 animal with them so I can' t speak from experience (except I got that elk so that counts I guess) but in theory they perform the best of both worlds. It' s the energy that is imparted into the animal that usually does a quick, shocking kill. The hole out the far side is only if the animal runs off so you have a good blood trail to follow and the animal will bleed out like if shot through by an arrow.

It' s partitions for me until they make a Partition with a balistic tip. That would be my perfect bullet. I hunt only deer, elk, bear (black) and cougars so I don' t need the strongest bullet but I don' t want a bullet that will explode either (like a balistic tip).
Old 10-10-2003, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

?? why doesnt nosler bond the front lead in there partitions
JJT, they' d probably be sued by Swift. That' s exactly what a swift A-Frame is.... a (Nosler-like) partician with a bonded front lead.

I am told further that Swift casings are machined rather than made in the traditional stamping process. Of the ones I' ve used, they' re exceedingly accurate.
Old 10-12-2003, 08:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Vapodog you brought up a very good point. The swifts are machined and the noslers are extruded. The original Nosler partition was also machined but evidently was very costly to produce and they switched to extruded. One of the things I like about partitions is that they have a pretty decent ballistic coefficient compared to say a Trophy bonded or something similiar and yet are very destructive on Game and work in a very reliable fashion.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:10 AM

jjt,

I' ve used the Nosler Partitions on quite a few animals, and have never regretted it. It tickles me when I read the expectations of some of us on bullet performance. I include myself it that comment as well. With all the success I' ve had with the Partitions, I' ve also wished they would retain more than 60% to 65% of their weight. Why? Hell, I don' t know! The only reason I can think of is that at sometime in my formative years I must have read something that declared deep penetration was critical, and could only be gotten with high retained weight. I' ve killed more deer with a .22LR HP than any other single cartridge/bullet combination in my life time. It all happened about forty years ago, during a late week in April, in Montana. The local game warden knew what we were doing, for he was doing the same thing, as were all the other ranches outside Lewiston. It had been a mild winter, and green grass had come up about a month earlier. Then the blizzard hit. There were several hay stacks on the meadows of this ranch that the owner let the deer have. The stack nearest the house had to be saved for the stock. Several of us sat on the stack all night long. In the later part of the week there was a 24 hour watch. We used sling shots and small marbles to try and drive the deer away. We actually shot the deer only after they started on the hay. Most shots were at arms reach. The bullets penetrated only a few inches, but since it was straight into the brain it did the job. I often think that if a bullet does the job, why is it necessary that it looks pretty afterwards? No matter how sexy a bullet is before being used, if it doesn' t do the job, it' s not worth a lead penny. If a bullet is accurate and does the job, it' s worth its cost, whatever that may be.
I don' t talk about the haystack very often, I' m not very proud of it. As far as I know None of the meat was wasted. The ranch I was at took all of it to a catholic and babtist church in the area and ended up feeding a lot of people. I know that many will throw rocks, but those that have been there will understand.

By the way. I think I' ve found a bullet that may give me what I want in a bullet. The new Hornady Interbond seems as if it will give me what I want. Out of a .308 Win. fire at 100 yards retained 91% of its weight. When fired at 20 feet it still retained 86% of its weight when fired into wet newspapers. Next month I hope to try it on a cow elk. Please excuse the rmablin' .
Old 10-12-2003, 02:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Big Bob. I for one understand. I have been there too. In my younger days before there even was a deer season where we lived I kept meat on the table with a 22 rimfire. With good shot placement the 22 will take a deer as far out as 75 yards or so. I did it many times. My mother would tell me to go get meat and that 22 was all we had. NEVER LOST A DEER NOT ONE. Not bragging at all. That was another place in another time. What we did, everybody else did too. There were no Game Wardens at that time and very few game laws. If you wanted meat you went hunting.

Quick Reply: nosler partitions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.