Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

270/300 win mag

Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks Jeep, I doubt I'd go 270 RUM although it would light them up for awhile. I was trying to come up with a medium case idea that would get the 165 gr bullet up to 3000 fps. If I could get those speeds it would hold it's own in the long range class all the way up to a mile. I know there's better bullets and rounds for that distance. But if the G7 equivalent of .330 holds up on the 165gr it would be a definite 1000 yard shooter and in the big game class of things at least deer sized animals.

There's only two barrel companies I've found that run a .277 barrel with a 1 in 8" twist. Lilja and Pac Nor. I was thinking of using a regular 270 win case and a 30" barrel and trying to milk that extra 150 fps from the norm I've read about using the 270 win case. I would rather stick to a Hogdon powder for heat and cold. If I was to go with a 30" barrel it's going to be really heavy in a #7 target contour.

A lot of people say it can't be done but I think she'll get real close. If they are hitting 2850 fps with a 28" barrel I know I can get into the 2900's with a 30" using the 165gr.

Here's the argument that I've been having with a lot of shooters out there about the 270 win and 165gr. To get that kind of BC out of a 7mm your into the 175-180 gr range and the 30 cal is 210 gr bullet at least. So they are all slowing down a lot buy the time you put that much bullet in each caliber. So in theory yes we are all doing the same thing except I'm going to try and to it without a magnum stamped on the case. If I was going to use a mag case then the 7mm RM and the 7mm STW tend to make more sense beings your changing neck size by .007, that's not really that much more potential throat burn compared to the STW but more I know. In reality a 264 WM would burn out the barrel just as fast as a 270 STW.

I have more reasons for not building one than building one but right now it's the people saying it won't work causing more desire to build it.

Two thoughts?
To use the 270 win and possible powders?
To use a 7STW case and suffer barrel life?
Old 04-05-2014, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

why not a wsm case in that 30" barrel, rated at higher saami specs so ya could run more pressure, have another inch of barrel to work with due to much shorter COL.
the 270 wsm runs a 150 over 3100 with a 24" tube, with a 30" 8 twist button rifled barrel you should be able to get 3200 easy with a 165 if you throat it just a tad long and give the bullet a lil jump. just a thought from a dumb redneck.
RR
Old 04-05-2014, 07:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
why not a wsm case in that 30" barrel, rated at higher saami specs so ya could run more pressure, have another inch of barrel to work with due to much shorter COL.
the 270 wsm runs a 150 over 3100 with a 24" tube, with a 30" 8 twist button rifled barrel you should be able to get 3200 easy with a 165 if you throat it just a tad long and give the bullet a lil jump. just a thought from a dumb redneck.
RR
My thoughts exactly and precisely why I'm having a 270 WSM being built as we speak.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

Ridge you might be a little red like myself but I have doubts on the dumb. lol. I'll look into some of the WSM data. It is the one case I haven't really studied much. Thanks
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bullcamp82834
Help is available.
Call Barrel Burners Anonymous.
1 800 SHO TOUT
You are not alone.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:44 AM
Typical Buck

I ran the 165gr Matrix out of a 270 win with a 26" barrel at 2870 with 58gr of H 1000. With a lot more powders to play with. I'm thinking you can hit 3000 fps relative easy with a 28" tube. Absolutely no signs of pressure on the case either. Optimistic on this avenue at the moment.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by redgreen
Why not just go to a 270 Weatherby magnum. It will do all you ask and more.
Don't you know Roy Weatherby was an OLD guy from the last century so his stuff no longer works & belts are for pants not cases. A bullet going 3300fps from a short mag or a big beltless mag is "gooderer" than one doing 3300fps from those ancient Weatherbys!
Old 05-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr
Don't you know Roy Weatherby was an OLD guy from the last century so his stuff no longer works & belts are for pants not cases. A bullet going 3300fps from a short mag or a big beltless mag is "gooderer" than one doing 3300fps from those ancient Weatherbys!
Not a thing wrong with the roys, however much has been learned lately at improving barrel life through neck lengths and throat angles, and if the cartridge gets the same velocity with less powder it makes less heat so thus improving throat life even more, the 270 wssm in all probability will not outperform the roy but will last longer.
RR
Old 05-01-2014, 05:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Not a thing wrong with the roys, however much has been learned lately at improving barrel life through neck lengths and throat angles, and if the cartridge gets the same velocity with less powder it makes less heat so thus improving throat life even more, the 270 wssm in all probability will not outperform the roy but will last longer.
RR
They also have longer throats to improve velocity with less pressure but with that you lose the ability to hit the lands with a VLD so accuracy goes downhill...The WSM will last longer and be cheaper to shoot...
Old 05-10-2014, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
My thoughts exactly and precisely why I'm having a 270 WSM being built as we speak.
You can't go wrong with a 270 WSM...I love mine to death! It's accurate as hell, knocks the $hit outta deer and very easy on the shoulder. I've been in love with mine since the day I bought it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.