Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

6.8 rem. Spc

Old 03-10-2014, 09:46 AM
Banned

Default 6.8 rem. Spc

Not familiar with this round. My son just got it in an AR platform.
Not too many bullets available. Any loading info would be most helpful.
He will use it for everything from yotes to elk. (In a perfect world!)
Old 03-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only big thing you need to watch out for with the 6.8 is lining up which chamber you have with your loading info. If it's cut with a spec I chamber, it will have a shorter leade and won't be able to handle as much pressure/powder as the Spec II chamber.

I've been pretty happy with the 110grn V-max for coyotes and the 120grn SST did well on the couple deer I took with mine.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Banned

You lost me already. The gun is a Stag if that helps.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Run the google machine about the 6.8 SPC and SPC II and you'll find untold volumes of information about the difference.

Long story short (you won't believe it, but this IS the short version, it's been a long ride, almost as bad as the 6.5 Grendel/.264LBC/blah blah debacle), the original specifications for the 6.8 SPC chamber yielded less than impressive results. The bullet jump was quite short 0.050", so heavier bullets had to be seated deeper into the case, and it all ended up causing the cartridge to run higher pressure than it really should.

So in the meantime while that was getting kicked around through SAAMI application process, someone figured out that if you lengthen the throat a bit, you can bring the pressures down and push velocities up, or bullet weights up. The SPC II chamber is 0.114" freebore, Noveske's is 0.100", and so on. It seems that the SPC II passed muster with SAAMI as well, although I'm not sure what that really means in terms of ammo supply and reloading data...

Continuing....

MOST manufacturers jumped on the SPC II pretty quickly, but not all did. Ammo manufacturers have been left in a hard spot, because there are enough SPC I chambers out there that they have to down-charge their ammo to prevent overpressuring these short-jump chambers. So at the end of the day, if he has a SPC II chamber, it's good that you'll be reloading for him, otherwise the SPC I is comparatively lackluster.

The current Stag 6.8's, according to their website at least, are using SPC II chambers, so assuming you can verify your son's rifle is a II chamber, you can load whatever level of data you find.

If you find out that it is indeed a spec I chamber, then you'll need to be careful as you sift through loading data, and keep an eye out for pressure signs as you work up loads.

(Not so different than the .223rem vs 5.56 NATO vs. .223 Wylde chamber issues, if you're familiar with that).
Old 03-11-2014, 02:25 AM
Banned

Good stuff . . . thanks. Come to find out, it is used (very little) and the seller had put a match barrel on it. More research to do.
How 'bout those Shockers! I'm an alum.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
Good stuff . . . thanks. Come to find out, it is used (very little) and the seller had put a match barrel on it. More research to do.
How 'bout those Shockers! I'm an alum.
The 6.8 is a lot of fun. The ballistics are a bit dated, considering it's not a speed-demon, but for REAL WORLD big game potential in an AR, it's a great option. More than enough to kill at 300yrds or less on deer, given the proper bullet, and a he11 of an anchor to drop on coyotes as far as you can hit them, without going pure fur carnage.

Man, I don't know what to say about the Shocks!! I was born and bred here in KS, so I grew up watching Roy's boys play at the Phog, but for the last 10yrs, WSU has really earned their reputation the hard way. They definitely don't get enough credit. I'm not necessarily a diehard fan, but I watch them when I can, and root for them when they play pretty much anyone. I'm also anything but a bandwagon jumper, so I didn't rush out and buy a bunch of Black & yellow, but I'm rooting for them. My wife said that they're the first team to EVER go into the tournament 34-0; that's saying something for ANY team, let alone an underdog like WSU. It's amazing to see them in the number 2 spot, albeit surprising to see a 2 loss team above them - not saying Florida isn't earning credit) - considering WSU is the only team with less than 2 losses, let alone UNDEFEATED.

Considering that my alma matter KSU is never in the hunt, and Kansas is so low this year and I don't expect a stellar tournament performance, the Shocker's are getting my backing in bracket play fo' sho'!!
Old 03-13-2014, 10:34 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by dig4gold
Not familiar with this round. My son just got it in an AR platform.
Not too many bullets available. Any loading info would be most helpful.
He will use it for everything from yotes to elk. (In a perfect world!)
Not sure what state you live in, but be sure to check the game regs before using it on elk and make sure it's legal..some states have a 30 caliber minimum for big game. That being said, not sure I'd use it for elk even if it were legal.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
Not sure what state you live in, but be sure to check the game regs before using it on elk and make sure it's legal..some states have a 30 caliber minimum for big game. That being said, not sure I'd use it for elk even if it were legal.

Yep.. That and what for action is legal. Here in PA no rifle with a semi-automatic action is legal for game.
Old 02-03-2020, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

The 6.8 SPC takes a .277 bullet. Same as the .270 So that should hep in finding bullets to reload.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
The 6.8 SPC takes a .277 bullet. Same as the .270 So that should hep in finding bullets to reload.
Odd to dig up a 6 year old thread to make this particular point. The downside, of course, despite the common availability of .277” bullets, the vast majority of these bullets aren’t suitable for the low velocity of the 6.8 SPC.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.