Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Point of impact with Barnes TSX >

Point of impact with Barnes TSX

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Point of impact with Barnes TSX

Old 02-20-2014, 01:08 PM
Spike

Default Point of impact with Barnes TSX

I recently tried loading some Barnes 55gr TSX for my Sav 223. The results are strange. I had the gun zeroed at 100 yds using Hornady 55gr Vmax which it shot .5 moa @100yds dead on bulls eye. When I tried the Barnes TSXs they shot 8" to the LEFT!! but the elev was very close. I figured I must have done something to the scope, so I tried the Vmax and it was right on target. I then tried 3 factory rds of Barnes 55gr TSX with same results as my reloads 8" to the LEFT.

What would cause such a shift in deflection? I could understand a change in elevation.

I would be very thankful for any help.
Old 02-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Velocity, the Barnes exited the barrel at a different point in the barrels harmonic travel, pretty common with totally different made and constructed bullets.
RR
Old 02-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Velocity, the Barnes exited the barrel at a different point in the barrels harmonic travel, pretty common with totally different made and constructed bullets.
RR
I believe you are correct. I tried some 62gr Barnes TTsx and shot well. They were very near the point of aim. I just couldn't believe that that point of impact could change that much in deflection.

I think I'm going to try some loads with Varget or CFE 223 and see what happens. Thanks for your info
Old 02-21-2014, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been thinking about trying the Barnes bullets for deer hunting with my .223. Point of impact aside which bullets would be better suited for deer hunting, the tsx or ttsx, 55 or 62 grain?
Old 02-22-2014, 08:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Centaur 1
I've been thinking about trying the Barnes bullets for deer hunting with my .223. Point of impact aside which bullets would be better suited for deer hunting, the tsx or ttsx, 55 or 62 grain?
Barnes recommends a 1:12 or faster twist to stabilize their 53 gr TSX bullets and a 1:9 or faster twist to stabilize their 62 gr TSX bullets.

Either bullet will easily kill a deer, if shot into the right place. I've tried 45 gr and 53 gr TSX bullets in my .22-250, but haven't found an accurate load yet. I have accurate loads with both TSX and TTSX bullets in my .300 Weatherby and have had excellent results on game animals with both of them. The TTSX bullets are slightly more accurate in my .300 Bee.

The only way to find out which bullets shoot best from your rifle is to shoot them both.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by buffybr
Barnes recommends a 1:12 or faster twist to stabilize their 53 gr TSX bullets and a 1:9 or faster twist to stabilize their 62 gr TSX bullets.

Either bullet will easily kill a deer, if shot into the right place. I've tried 45 gr and 53 gr TSX bullets in my .22-250, but haven't found an accurate load yet. I have accurate loads with both TSX and TTSX bullets in my .300 Weatherby and have had excellent results on game animals with both of them. The TTSX bullets are slightly more accurate in my .300 Bee.

The only way to find out which bullets shoot best from your rifle is to shoot them both.
I agree
. My best groups (.75moa) came with the 62gr ttsx & 24.5 gr Varget. Bolt action 22" barrel with 1:9 twist
Old 02-23-2014, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Rather surprised to see 8" POI delta. I used to see 3 or so inch change with the old barnes solids, but never seen a gun have 8" POI, unless I got extreme leading or copper fouling. I doubt that's the case.

I have loaded up the tSX's since they came out, nothing unusual to get 2-3 inch shift.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:04 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by BCRules
Rather surprised to see 8" POI delta. I used to see 3 or so inch change with the old barnes solids, but never seen a gun have 8" POI, unless I got extreme leading or copper fouling. I doubt that's the case.

I have loaded up the tSX's since they came out, nothing unusual to get 2-3 inch shift.
Yes I know and I've never had two bullets of the same weight & approx velocity shoot so much different in DEFLECTION. However the factory rounds did the same thing. All other rounds both copper and lead shot relatively close to P.O.A., I even tried cleaning the barrel after every shot. The groups are not bad an inch @ 100yds, so I could adjust the scope and use them.