Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading Presses >

Reloading Presses

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Presses

Old 02-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Reloading Presses

With the new year starting, filing taxes occur. I have wanted to get into reloading for about a year now. Now with all the presses I have been looking at (mainly progressive) my brother has brought up a point about why would I need a progressive loader? Just to give you info about my shooting life. I really want to reload 257 weatherby mag(main reason) and 223/5.56. I might go shooting 2x a month and maybe shoot 10-20 rounds of the 257 at most because its hard to get/expensive(hint reloading) and maybe 60-80 rounds of 5.56/223each time I go. Is a progressive press really needed with the amount of shooting I do? And again the main reason for me reloading is the 257 weatherby. I am looking for a whole kit. RCBS/Hornady are my 2 main manufactures that I have considered as that's what is pretty popular in my area.

I figured a progressive reloader would be easier instead of a single stage press?

Whats the difference between a media tumbler and a hot tub cleaner? Which is easier?

Thanks for your input
Old 02-02-2014, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Progressives are faster but a little more complicated. If that's what you want I'd go Dillon 550. Manual index & case/bullet feeding and can be used as a single stage until you feel comfortable using multiple stations. That said I would still recommend the rock chucker supreme kit to start. The press and tools will always have a time and place for use, and 1-200 rounds a month isn't overkill for single stage loading.

Media tumbling is usually done in vibratory tumblers. Cheap to get into and has worked for years; doesn't clean the inside of case or primer pockets much but that doesn't really matter. Wet tumbling is done in more expensive rotary tumblers; stainless steel pin media won't wear out and this method cleans the inside and primer pockets of brass like new. More effort involved but cleaner brass. I'm not really familiar with ultrasonic cleaning but I've read mixed reviews on its effectiveness.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

The RCBS rockchucker is the way to go. I have been loading for 45+ years now, and have tried various combinations, and prefer the rockchucker hands down.
The vibratory tumbler will do all that you need,
Old 02-02-2014, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

For the amount of shooting you're doing, it's going to be hard to make a reloading setup pay for itself very quickly, even less so if you go the progressive route. I generally reload in lots of at least 50 rounds unless I'm doing load development. For some calibers, I'm still shooting up the ammunition I'd loaded back in the late 1990s.
Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks for the input. I think it will pay off? An average box of 257 weatherby mag is 60 bucks and depending on what type of bullet they can be as high as 80-90 for a box. 69/70grain bullets for 223 are hard to find and somewhat expensive, the tsx bullets are pretty expensive as well, which I use as a hunting round. But I really just want to do it for a fun little hobby. Again, I am mainly using it for 257 weatherby reloads.
Old 02-03-2014, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
But I really just want to do it for a fun little hobby. Again, I am mainly using it for 257 weatherby reloads.
For some reason, "2x per month" didn't register the first time I read this. If you're TRULY shooting that much, then reloading probably would pay off. However, I don't recommend progressives if you're just getting started. There are a myriad of other tools you're still going to need and time you're going to need to invest if your reloading efforts are to pay off.

My reloading method just getting started amounted more to stuffing good bullets on top of readily available and cheap powder. Over the years, I find that's how a lot of us got started. Today, powder isn't all that available or cheap, and neither are good bullets.

I probably saved something like $50 box on the .338s I just put together. 50 rounds in it will probably last me at least three seasons. It's not about how much I saved though, it's about the load being tuned and tailored to MY rifle, not the factory's. Of course, it took quite a bit of time and development to get there. The fact that I loaded them on one of my Rockchuckers over my RL550B probably belies that I wasn't in that big of a hurry with them, checking this, measuring that, double-checking, ....

I'd still start with a single stage. Once you're turning out consistent ammo with it, then move up to a progressive.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I personally would go with a RCBS single stage press with the amount of shooting you are presently doing. Nothing like the feeling of harvesting game with ammo you assembled.

I bought a tumbler at a machine shop auction sale in the 1970's for $10.00, it replaced one of those single drum rock tumblers I found at a yard sale for a couple dollars.
The rock tumbler could do about 50 cases easy and maybe 100 if ya wanted to push it.

I can do about a thousand now.

Al
Old 02-03-2014, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the RCBS Rockchucker press and kit.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Spike

Default Best Value

Best value would be obtained from a Lee 50th Anniversary special. Of course, if you absolutely must, you can pay more for a brand name with no noticeable additional features/functions. They stay in business that way.
Old 02-03-2014, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Biggest problem with Lee is the warranty. And the quality. And the resale value. Etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.