Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Youth Rifle, 243 or 7mm08? >

Youth Rifle, 243 or 7mm08?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Youth Rifle, 243 or 7mm08?

Old 01-03-2014, 05:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you fellows would quit flinching and shooting them in the guts, you wouldn't have any problems...

I grew up shooting squirrels, in the head with an open sighted .22...Never had a problem killing deer...The hunters that show up at our camp with the big bores are the ones who can't shoot and we end up tracking their deer...

I've never shot a deer in the guts with my .243 or any other gun, I guess those that do, need a bigger gun....
Old 01-04-2014, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Like I said 2800FPS 85gr. HPBT bang flop from crows to deer and all those whistle pigs coyotes coons and possums. At one time many years ago My brother and a cousin used them on snow shoe hare across valleys in clear cut in march when the snow was melting. Only target was the shiny black eye.

Al
Old 01-04-2014, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
It only takes getting busted in the eye or nose one time for someone to potentially become a terrible shot.
well then as many times as I've worn the badge "magnum eyebrow" then I'll never kill another deer!
heck I use to shoot a 25" barreled 10 ga with a scope off a bench that actualy rattled my teeth loose, reckon my shootin days are over, anybody wanna buy a couple junk rifles?
RR
Old 01-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
well then as many times as I've worn the badge "magnum eyebrow" then I'll never kill another deer!
heck I use to shoot a 25" barreled 10 ga with a scope off a bench that actualy rattled my teeth loose, reckon my shootin days are over, anybody wanna buy a couple junk rifles?
RR
Come on RR...

You know I'm not saying that happens to everyone or even most people, but becoming recoil shy is very real, and young kids can be affected easily. I know several guys that are adults that have had issues with it over the years, one took several years to get over it after being busted hard 2 times with a .300 wby.

I still stand by my choice of .243 as a great rifle for kids, (and also adults.) To say its not, well that just doesn't jive with reality. Certainly there are other great rifles too...but just because they are bigger, doesn't automatically mean they will do better.

And btw... I shoot a single shot full choke 36" barrel 10ga w 3.5's for turkey...I can relate to the teeth rattling. It comes straight back, right now. But boy does it put a hurting on the other end
Old 01-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

you've never heard me complain about the 243, heck I own 2, though I prefer the 6mm.
RR
Old 01-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Typical Buck

I agree the 6mm rem is a good choice. I own all 3, 243, 6mm, 7/08. I will and will also pick the 7/08 out of those 3. I know of a lot of deer killed with the 6mm in my part of wv. Those where manly in remington 742.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:38 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
RR
If only you were left handed....
Old 01-06-2014, 08:00 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Bbj270
My opinion is you should use the biggest gun you can van dam, the animal deserves the respect to be killed quickly and cleanly. I feel the more energy of the 7/08 is a better choice for a young hunter. You never know if the animal will move right when you shoot anything can happen. I agree and animal can run with the biggest guns with poor.shot placement. But don't you feel a big gun gives you the advance. Yes practices so you can make the good shots. But in hunting anything can happen.
I have 5 243's in the safe...2 of which are my 55# 9 year old daughters...she started shooting a 243 when she was a 45# 6 year old and has hunted with a Weatherby Vanguard in .243 for 3 seasons now. My niece also hunts with a Vanguard in 243 as well...and over the past 3 seasons I have watched these 2 girls take over half-a-dozen deer and 2 caribou with 243's pushing 100g Nosler Partitions...all of those animals have been DRT except for one, that ran all of 40 yards...shot placement, not horsepower kills deer in their tracks...If you hit a deer poorly with that 33-378 Weatherby...it's gonna run, and run a long ways!

Here is my daughter with this years buck...a nice 112" 8 point taken at 106 yards with a 243..."bang flop"...1 shot!

Last edited by emtrescue6; 01-06-2014 at 08:32 AM.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great picture!
Old 01-06-2014, 03:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by emtrescue6
If only you were left handed....
I AM!

LOL
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.