Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Sold on wet tumbling with SS pins. >

Sold on wet tumbling with SS pins.

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Sold on wet tumbling with SS pins.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Default Sold on wet tumbling with SS pins.

So Santa brought me a Harbor Freight wet tumbler for Christmas so I could try this method out. The brass I tried in it was once fired 45ACP brass that had already been tumbled for 4 hours in a walnut/corncob dry media. Flash holes were cleaned out by hand.

The Harbor Freight dual drum tumbler.

1 pound of stainless steel pins in each drum.

75 of the once fired 45ACP brass in each drum.

Added water to abount an inch or so above the brass. Then added 4 drops of Dawn dish soap and 1/8 teaspoon of lemi-shine. Tumbled for 4 hours.

Before pictures.

After pictures.
I could not believe how dirty the water was. I used a RCBS enclosed media separator to get pins out of the brass. Filled it with water until it came up into the cage and rotated it to allow the water to wash out the pins. Next I emptied the water and threw a couple of paper towels in with the brass and rotated again to help dry the brass a little. I think this also helps prevent any extra water spots. Then put the brass out on the bench to dry. I had been researching this cleaning method and had seen the before and after pictures, but you almost can't believe what a difference it makes until you try it yourself. I know that having brass this clean is not needed but I like being able to find my brass easier after shooting and also to see powder levels in the brass easier. HD.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I might hafta make the move someday.. FWIW I often times do a quick handwash after I size brass, and putting the brass in a dehydrator dries it very quickly.
Old 12-30-2013, 11:31 AM
Typical Buck

Pretty brass is pleasing to the eye and I love it.

It never made my groups smaller but I still love looking at it.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Neat idea and it really does make the brass shine. I wash my brass, 40,10mm, 45, and 223 mainly. I wash my brass with toilet bowl cleaner, rinse, then throw into a mesh laundry bag and then into a load of blue jeans.
Old 12-31-2013, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

Interesting, I hadn't heard the toilet bowl cleaner before. HD.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HDMontana
Interesting, I hadn't heard the toilet bowl cleaner before. HD.
I use it with hot water in a glass gallon pickle jar. About 1/3 full of brass, hot water and a good shot of cleaner. Let sit for a awhile, bout 10-15 minutes, then shake like the dickens!! Pour out into an old pasta strainer, rinse in cold water. Throw into bag, into dryer. I usally do this while starting a load of blue jeans, and let the load time it for me. Less running up and down the steps!!!! I dont want to say lazy, just efficient!!!!

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-09-2014 at 07:29 AM.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Those are some pretty brass. Primer pockets look so clean.
Old 03-16-2014, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I may give this a try. Plain media doesn't do it anymore!!! Thanks!!
Old 04-18-2014, 02:13 PM
Spike

Thanks HD!! I tried just what you have done and the brass turned out great. Now to find
someone who would like my slightly used super-duper-sonic cleaning system which works
almost as well, but takes HOURS longer.

Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

Where did you get the stainless steel pins?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.