Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Let's talk about precision reloading >

Let's talk about precision reloading

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Let's talk about precision reloading

Old 12-09-2013, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Let's talk about precision reloading

I've been posting a lot lately but my brain is a sponge right now and you guys always provide the knowledge. I wanna talk about all the different things folks do when reloading for maximum precision accuracy. What I'm gonna do is list some things I've seen folks do and ask for your input on the topic. What I would like is some sort of proof/data that a certain step has made a measurable difference in accuracy. Right now I'm chasing the accuracy goal with my GAP-10 but I will be having a precision bolt gun built soon. Here goes...

- Turning case necks

- Using bench rest primers VS standard primers

- Using competition seating dies over standard dies

- Crimping and not crimping

- Loading to be just off the lands or kissing the lands

- Uniforming primer pockets

- Deburring flash holes

- Bumping shoulders VS resizing to factory specs

Please provide input on any or all of these steps and if you've personally observed increases in accuracy by performing them. If you would like to add something I didn't list, feel free to do so.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I'm the only one here loading for precision.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by SWThomas
I've been posting a lot lately but my brain is a sponge right now and you guys always provide the knowledge. I wanna talk about all the different things folks do when reloading for maximum precision accuracy. What I'm gonna do is list some things I've seen folks do and ask for your input on the topic. What I would like is some sort of proof/data that a certain step has made a measurable difference in accuracy. Right now I'm chasing the accuracy goal with my GAP-10 but I will be having a precision bolt gun built soon. Here goes...

- Turning case necks
unless you have a tight neck, turning more than enogh to just even them up is a waste of time
usualy the BR primers are just a tad more consistant, I use the fed. match primers and they seem to always be more accurate, by how much depends on the individual rifle

this depends on how accurate your rifle is, and whether or not you have a custom chamber

you don't need to crimp

depends on the rifle and the bullet, touching the lands will cause pressure spikes in some rifles with some loads, I get better consistency giving the bullet some "jump" to the lands, if your runout is minimal, the bullet will start straight into the lands with some jump

I've never done it

- Deburring flash holes
This does make a difference unless you use lapua brass, they are drilled not punched
unless you anneal your brass often you will reach a point where you have to bump the shoulder to get the round to chamber due to work hardening of the brass causing it to spring back

Please provide input on any or all of these steps and if you've personally observed increases in accuracy by performing them. If you would like to add something I didn't list, feel free to do so.
hope this helps
RR
Old 12-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok here is a couple targets. This one was my first session with 140 berger bullets in my 6.5 gibbs

Winchester brass, fed. 210M's, 62 gr of re22, brass were prepped by deburing the flasholes, necks turned to even them out, 270 brass necked to 6,5 gibbs and fireformed using cornmeal.....nothing else. the load chrony'd 3340 fps just kissing the lands and was borderline being overpressure.
was fired at a range of 480 yards, measures .63 moa, well re22 fell through so I went to retumbo

that group had the same brass prep, same primer, but charge was 61.7 gr of retumbo, MV was 3260 fps
fired at a lazered 752 yards, measured .004 MOA bullet was seated .030 off the lands
RR
Old 12-14-2013, 05:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you are really serious about "maximum precision accuracy" I would suggest you go to a few benchrest (BR) matches or shoot at a range where the BR fellows practice. Most of the guys are glad to be helpful and know a heck of a lot about the subject.

The internet is not the best source of solid advice on the subject (all internet rifles are amazingly accurate, etc.), but there are some REAL shooters at http://benchrest.com/
Old 12-14-2013, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

- Turning case necks

I only turn do these things on BR target rifles. I have never found any measurable difference in hunting rifles.

I crimp heavy recoiling cartridges (.375 H&H and above) and the 22 Hornet. The only reason I crimp the Hornet is that the brass is so thin that the crimp allows a more consistent ignition.

Each rifle is a law unto itself.

I always do this step on new brass, perhaps out of habit but it does make primer seating more consistent.

- Deburring flash holes
If it has a punched hole I always deburr new brass.

I don't resize to factory specs unless it is for a special purpose like a DG rifle where reliable feeding trumps accuracy. I do keep good records and anneal brass lots on schedule, and always use the same brass for each rifle.

On target rifles I also mark the brass so that it is loaded in the chamber the same every time, fuss with concentricity, and worry about twenty other things that may be a figment of my imagination - but then so do the guys that take home all of the trophies (unfortunately not me).

I am not a high volume shooter like the AR crowd. They might have good reason to do things differently.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

- Turning case necks
I have never turned necks, but the new rifle I had built the smith fireformed 50 brass for me as part of the build and turned the necks...but I tend to agree with RR's comments and he certainly has more experience in long-range shooting than me

I primarily use a variety of primers, but lean toward Federal 210M (Match) primers for most of my loads...I also use Rem 9 1/2 BR (bench-rest) primers for my 223/5.56 loads and CCI BR2's (bench-rest) for my 257 Bob AI loads

I use standard dies all around...but if you have a custom chamber custom dies may be a requirement

crimp isn't necessary in my experience and I stopped doing so some time ago based on that experience

Every rifle is different and trial and error will help you find your rifles sweet spot.

I don't typically do this, but I do debur flashholes and clean primer pockets

- Deburring flash holes
I do generally debur

I have some rifles that require bumping shoulders, specifically my 270WSM, 7mm Mag and a 25 WSSM...but beyond that none have really required having shoulders bumped...I try to neck size as opposed to FL size when possible

Old 12-18-2013, 01:41 AM
Typical Buck

Tempature ,outside,has an affect on your loads. I have found this with most of my loadings.
How many rounds between cleaning,is another thing to keep track of,as with the temps you try your loads at.
Old 12-18-2013, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

looks like you are looking for answers anticipating the arrival of your new bolt gun, the first place I would ask questions is to the gunsmith who puts this all together, most of these guys will have a great starting point to get you into the precision you are looking to achieve , I did this and then went to the bench rest guys and they were more than happy to answer questions I had, so many variables go into the precision loading, RR seemed to give some great input as to where to start, to me looking for that " perfect load" for that new bolt gun can be a lot of fun , just finding the right primer can be a challenge , just my thoughts I'd start with the gun smith, and go from there.