Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
.44 Mag case capacity. Compressed? >

.44 Mag case capacity. Compressed?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.44 Mag case capacity. Compressed?

Old 10-23-2013, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default .44 Mag case capacity. Compressed?

I want to start reloading 44 mag for both rifle and handgun. Started last night with H 4227 powder and Hornady 225 FTX.
Load data I could find ranged from 22-24 grains of powder, but I would have to compress the heck out of it to get to 1 bullet diameter of seating depth. Is that usual?
I tried Win, Rem, and Hornady cases, all with the same result. Case lengths are all trimmed to 1.285"

What am I doing wrong?
Old 10-25-2013, 03:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks hookeye. I've run compressed loads before in my 25-06, but those are always at the high end. Just seem odd to have a starting load that is compressed.

I think i figured out why I can't get the seating depth that I want. The FTX flexible tip is flattening out before I get enough pressure to seat the bullet. I'll have to play with the seating die. I might have to go with a faster powder for these bullets.
Old 10-26-2013, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hookeye
I use WW296 and all my .44 mag loads (180-240 gr bullets) are run at max (with no bad pressure sign and long case life).

They are also all compressed loads.

I run Rem and Nosler JHP and Hornady XTP bullets. No problem.

You might be doing something wrong, or maybe it's just different and you're not used to that setup.
Never loaded your chosen bullet and don't know your reloading setup.......so I can't give an answer.

Just pointing out that compressed loads can be normal (and maybe preferred)
I use pretty much the same here as well. I as well use H110, Alliant 2400 and AA#9 for alot of my 44 Mag stuff with mainly 200gr and 240grn. 99% are all compressed loads.