Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 I have been educated on varmit bullets thanks to this board. >

I have been educated on varmit bullets thanks to this board.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

I have been educated on varmit bullets thanks to this board.

Old 09-24-2003, 02:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I have been educated on varmit bullets thanks to this board.

I posted a reply in regards to the best .224-caliber varmit bullet. My answer was the Sierra 52-grain HPBT Matchking. I would like to thank informed posters for correcting me. Woodseye, Westbronco & Driftrider all pointed out that the Matchking was a target bullet not a varmit bullet. I must admit at the time of my post did not know the difference. I always thought the hollow point of the Matchking had a " dual purpose" ? I thought it shifted the weight to the rear of the bullet & helped the bullet fragment on impact.
I called Sierra & talked to tech support, they told me they never test the Matchking for fragmentation. They also said they never have or do they ever plan on in the future designing the Matchking to fragment. The person in tech support said the Matchking might fragment 99.99% of the time but never count on it. Tech support said the only intended use for the Matchking bullet is punching holes in paper. I must say I think every varmit I have shot with the Matchking died due to massive internal damage & bullet fragmentation?
I will be switching over to the Blitzking bullet for all of my varmit hunting in the future.
Thanks again guys. I guess you learn something new everyday.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I have been educated on varmit bullets thanks to this board.

I know several folks that swear by Hornady A-Max for deer.....go with what works....the world has a lot of opinions.

Old 09-25-2003, 04:40 AM

Default RE: I have been educated on varmit bullets thanks to this board.

Wolf Killer
The reason I answered the way I did was two-fold............first the poster asked specificaly about a cartridge for coyotes and they take a little more in the line of bullet performance than gophers or chucks.Second the varmint bullets are more frangible and don' t tend to bounce around the countryside in semi populated areas like others can if striking a rock or ground at the right angle from shots at low to the ground critters.I think you will be very pleased with the accuracy and performance of the Blitzking bullets and you might want to give the V-Maxes a try too.

Vapodog.....There are different strokes for different shooters but using target bullets for game when viable alternatives can and do exist is simply using bullets for jobs they were never designed or intended for.It may work this time and it may work next time but sooner or later you and the game will experience a bullet failure that may result in a wounded or lost animal.If thats of no concern I' m sure the target/paper punching bullets are quite accurate however...................but they seldom expand well on flesh and bone especially when you start getting up to larger game.The bullet expansion chart in Handloader magazine showed this quite clearly a while back.

woods