Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
brass polishing question >

brass polishing question

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

brass polishing question

Old 04-08-2013, 04:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default brass polishing question

Going under the premise that the only stupid question is one you did not ask;For lack of another means to polish brass,what would be wrong with using Brasso on a limited basis ,being sure to wipe it it all off,and allowing plenty of time for the fumes to leave before you did any further operations on the rounds? Thanks in advance for your answers/smart remarks/jokes.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Adding some to the media in a tumbler like a lot of people do is one thing, but using it by hand on each piece sounds like you have an awful lot of time on your hands or don't reload much!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-08-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

Topgun ,you would be right on both counts.It is just temporary.I was really wondering if there were any safety issues,other than possible asphixiation(spelling)the fumes are awful.
Old 04-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks RR i'll try both.I'm searching for something that can be used without power yet is effective.
Old 04-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Fork Horn

When I trim (I use a lee case trimmer chucked in a drill) part of the process is using fine steel wool to shine it up. My nice pretty brass means it's just been trimmed.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

I can do that, thanks.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
just use 4/0 steel wool or a white scotchbrite pad, brasso is pretty aggressive, contains ammonia.
RR

I found something very similar to a white scotchbrite pad.It is used for wetsanding when your doing auto body and paint work.Works great,fast too.thanks RR.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WOODTICK49
Going under the premise that the only stupid question is one you did not ask;For lack of another means to polish brass,what would be wrong with using Brasso on a limited basis ,being sure to wipe it it all off,and allowing plenty of time for the fumes to leave before you did any further operations on the rounds? Thanks in advance for your answers/smart remarks/jokes.
WT,

I've read a lot of issues regarding using Brasso both in case tumblers/vibrators and directly on the cases. Don't remember all the specifics but you should be able to pick-up most of it googling.

My recommendation: If you don't have a case virbratory cleaner, get one. If you do, there are many additives specifically made to put in with the media. Brasso is not one of them.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stainless tumbler material is great, will shine brass like new. I have converted over to ultrasonic only. 40min total between 50% white vinegar solution, Hornady solution, then two water cycles and it looks like new.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:22 PM
Spike

Brasso contains AMMONIUM HYDROXIDE which weakens brass, I would not use any product that contains ammonia in any form.

Michael Grace

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.