Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
The Reload or Not To Reload >

The Reload or Not To Reload

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

The Reload or Not To Reload

Old 04-04-2013, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Reload or Not To Reload

I am preparing for an elk hunt in 2014. I will be heading to the range and becoming confident in the rifle that I plan to take. It is a 338 Win. Mag. If I find a factory load that groups well, would it be worth my time to reload? I probably will shoot about 200 rounds in preparation once I find a good grouper. Once this elk hunt is done, I suspect that this rifle will live the rest of its life on the back row of my gun safe.

I figure factory stuff will probably cost me $500-$700. That is not an issue. However, I have reloaded 1000's of rounds and enjoy doing so. I have never reloaded a belted cartridge. I am concerned about making an error related to head spacing.

If you were me would you reload ?
Old 04-04-2013, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, I would reload.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:27 AM
Typical Buck

I would absolutely load for it. Assuming you have the time, what are the advantages of not loading for it?
Old 04-05-2013, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a .338 WM quite a bit. Factory rounds have never done as well in my rifles as my handloads have. I shoot three different bullet weights for different applications. A .338 is a fairly versatile cartridge with handloads, and might keep your rifle from endless days in the back of the safe.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

If you're not planning on shooting the gun much after your elk hunt, it may not be worth the time to reload for your 338. Since you already reload (according to your OP post), you could probably get into reloading the 338 with minimal costs. I have a question for you though. How do you know that you'll only want to elk hunt once? It's a lot of fun, excellent meat and can be fairly addictive in a good way. You might find yourself wanting to elk hunt more and shoot that 338 a little more often.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

Like others have posted, Why would you NOT reload? Especially if you already have a press and other reloading equipment. The only thing new you'll have to buy is .338 dies, bullets, and maybe different powder and primers, depending on what you are currently reloading. That should only cost you a couple hundred dollars.

You can get familiar with your .338 rifle while you are working up loads for it. I load hunting rounds with premium bullets and practice rounds with cheaper cup and core bullets.

Again, like others have responded, there isn't any difference in reloading belted cases than reloading non-belted cases. I'm currently reloading three belted cartridges -- 7mm RM, .300 Wby, and .375 RUM. The only time that I full length resize the cases is the first time that I size brass that wasn't previously fired in my rifles.

Enjoy your elk hunt.

Last edited by buffybr; 04-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well it appears you already have some brass and you said you do reload. And I imagine the cost of a box of loaded .338s is fairly expensive. So for the cost of a couple boxes of factory ammo you can buy the dies and the bullets and possibly some powder other than what you have on hand.
I would reload.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. Dies are on order.

As for CalHunter ... to be honest, here in Alabama there probably have not been elk for 1000 years or so !! I'd have gone long before now and would have gone often but .... an elk hunt, even a bones budget, do it yourself, western USA public land hunt represents quiet an investment for me.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Thanks. Dies are on order.

As for CalHunter ... to be honest, here in Alabama there probably have not been elk for 1000 years or so !! I'd have gone long before now and would have gone often but .... an elk hunt, even a bones budget, do it yourself, western USA public land hunt represents quiet an investment for me.
It represents a $74 investment for me. That includes gas.

Reload....it is the future of shooting.
Old 04-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

In your shoes, I would not reload for it myself. If you don't have any equipment and you don't shoot the rifle much, you'll end up having a lot of money getting into it, developing a load, only to use the rifle for a few hunts.

Another disadvantage, if you're flying to your hunt, your ammo might not make it with you, so it sometimes pays to have a VERY COMMON factory round that shoots well in your rifle that you could pick up from any store when you get there.

Now, if I were you, my plan would accept the risk of losing your ammo mentioned above, and have a local reloader that I trusted reload the ammo for me. No sense in getting $300-1000 into a set-up just to go on a couple hunts. A local reloader can work with you on developing a load, all you'd need to do is supply dies, case length gauges (unless he reloads your cartridge himself), and components.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.