Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Which equipment? >

Which equipment?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Which equipment?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:19 PM
Typical Buck

I would echo the recommendation to buy a good reloading manual or even two. If you have a certain bullet in mind that you want to load (Hornady, Nosler, etc.) I would buy that brand's manual.

I also think you are on the right track about getting a single stage. It sounds like you are going to be loading ammo for hunting, not plinking (if you plink with your 300 win mag you are tougher than me!) so you will be better served going slow and taking your time, rather than just pumping out ammo.

As for particular brands I have the Hornady Lock n Load single stage press with the quick change bushings and I really like it. But you should be well served with any of the major brands. Good luck!
Old 02-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have 3 loading manuals, plus theres online data from the powder makers. Lyman 49th edition, Nosler #6, and a Speer manual is on my shelves. I went with a Lee turret press, but I use it like a single stage for rifle, and auto indexing turret for auto pistols. You cant go wrong with about any of the presses. You're biggest issue will be finding components. Normally you cant decide what you want to try first, but now its get whatever you can get your hands on.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:50 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by gregrn43
I've been reloading for 26 years now and still using the same rockchucker I bought then. Also I still have my same balance scale, works just as good as the day I bought it. Its a lot of fun.
Originally Posted by sixgun_symphony
I advise getting the books "ABC's of Reloading" and "Handloader's Digest" before buying equipment.
Originally Posted by HDMontana
If you plan on doing this any time soon, I would start buying primers, brass and bullets wherever you can find them right now, if you don't already have them. Stuff is really scarce overall and most companies will not even take back orders at this time. Even the equipment itself can be difficult to get right now. HD.
Originally Posted by Mykey
Same here!, been reloading for over 25yrs and still have the same Rockchucker press and 505 scale that i started with. I've always used RCBS products with no problems and recommend them to anyone.
I agree totally with the above. I have been reloading with the same Rock Chucker and 505 scale since 1981.
In my mind RCBS is the best. I tried progressive reloading but but prefer the quality and precision for all of my hunting rounds on my single stage.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Something else to consider do you have a way to secure the powder, primers and ammo? Any children in your house are going to be curious.

Agree with the others regarding RCBS. I have a Rockchucker and it is a quality piece of equipment.