HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Tumble before or after depriming/sizing? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/377182-tumble-before-after-depriming-sizing.html)

SecondChance 12-30-2012 02:51 PM

Tumble before or after depriming/sizing?

I was talking with another loader at work and a set of his dies were MIA after his last move and he asked me to help him out. He brought me the brass, projectiles and load recipe. I went to deprime and size and noticed he had already tumbled them with the primers in. I always tumble them after depriming so as to not get any media in the primer hole and damage my depriming pin or rod. What does everyone else do?

Mykey 12-30-2012 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4021816)
I've always tumbled before decapping/resizing.
RR

I agree!, same here.

bronko22000 12-30-2012 05:10 PM

I don't think it matters. I do it after I deprime. I clean out the primer pockets anyway so if there is media in there I remove it.

pnut 12-31-2012 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4021816)
so ya think a walnut hull will break a case hardened pin? you risk the same thing with no primer. I've always tumbled before decapping/resizing.
RR

Same here.

pnut 12-31-2012 07:30 AM

Reloading for an AR

Looking for a dependable plinking bullet for my AR.
I have an M&P with 1:8 twist.
Not looking for any type of match bullet but something dependable that doesn't cost a fortune.
So far the A-Max looks to be the ticket.
Just looking for some opinions.

emtrescue6 12-31-2012 05:41 PM

I tumble after re-sizing...it's simple the steps I grew up with and am use to...it's simply a preference, nothing wrong either way.

SecondChance 01-12-2013 03:30 PM

Was just nosey. I see several do it both ways with mixed opinions. I guess as one said that it just depends on how you began and am used to.

pnut 01-12-2013 06:26 PM

Hell I do it before and after.
Before to clean them up before putting them into my dies and after to shine them to look new.

My two tumblers rarely sit idle.
They're both running right now.

pnut 01-12-2013 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner (Post 4022310)
normaly don't clean my pockets often, use to clean every loading till I had some that the primer seated too deep and had to be trashed.
so if I tumble after sizing I would hafta go through the brass with a toothpick pushing media out of the flash holes, do it before and let the decapping pin do the same job.
RR

I've only had this problem with corn cob which I stopped using yrs ago.
Never had that problem with walnut.
I use Graff's walnut mix and it's a little dusty at first but a few dryer sheets knock that out pretty quick.

Big Uncle 01-13-2013 11:36 AM

I tumble after the primers have been removed and the primer pockets have been cleaned.