Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
getting lube in neck >

getting lube in neck

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

getting lube in neck

Old 01-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks again for the responses. HD.
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
load tray are cheap. I use one solely for the use of One Shot. But even so, the spray does not contaminate powder or primers. And IMO much less messier than the old case lube.
I also have one load tray I use specifically for this process and also use one shot. Works well and is much "cleaner"...I also don't prime my cases till after all case prep is done (size, trim, .etc).
Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have a can of the One Shot, but have continued using the paste type a friend gave me until it's gone. I figured I'd just go outside and give them a spray when I start using it or maybe just put the load tray inside a cardboard box to do it and keep the residual spray from going all over.
Old 01-19-2013, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I have a can of the One Shot, but have continued using the paste type a friend gave me until it's gone. I figured I'd just go outside and give them a spray when I start using it or maybe just put the load tray inside a cardboard box to do it and keep the residual spray from going all over.
You don't need enough to cover the whole case, just the neck, shoulder and inside the case mouth a bit. I do it in the basement and my wife is a PITA with any kind of spraying I do in the house. She does'nt even notice when I use the one shot. It don't fog like you think. I do mine on the load table with no problems.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:27 PM
Typical Buck

Default lube inside case necks

I can't remember where I got it, but years ago I got a 1/4" x 1" round head screw that has a threaded hole through the slot and into the shaft of the screw. The thread is the same as the thread of nylon bore brushes.

I put the screw next to my press on the front my my loading bench. I then screw-in a nylon bore brush of the caliber that I am loading.

When I lube each case prior to sizing, I simply put a little Imperial Sizing Wax on the brush with my fingers, then push the case on and off the brush. This quickly and easily lubes the inside of the case neck. One wipe of lube on the brush lasts for about 5 cases.

If I need more lube in the neck for expanding case necks, I put some extra lube on my finger, then rotate the case mouth on that finger, pushing lube into the mouth of the case.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:08 PM
Typical Buck

I once had a box of fired brass in a box and had bought some oil for the truck. Well without thinking I put the oil on top the box of brass and drove home. Somehow the oil spilled all over the cases and what a mess I had. So I spent time cleaning all the cases inside and out. Reloaded the cases and found out the hard way that even though I had done what I thought was a thorough job of cleaning them I still had oil inside the case and some of this affected accuracy and a few the primers. The cases I fired still had wet oil residue in the corners of the head of the case. I would never use a wet oil of any kind to lube a case especially if it can get inside the case itself. And I have never lubed inside the case neck and never had one issue in decades.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

I agree that oil or moisture (water) inside does nothing good for the powder or primer. However, a thin coat of Imperial Size Wax or other reloading sizing lube applied to the inside of the case neck will not affect either the powder or primer, and it allow pulling the expander ball of the sizing die to be done easily and smoothly.

In my earlier example of expanding case necks, I have easily expanded dozens of 7 mm RUM and .300 RUM cases up to .375 RUM in one stroke and without damaging any of the cases.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

Gentlemen, ( and I use the term very loosely ) there are many fine store bought case lubes out there.

But why are you buying them?

The best Case lube I have ever used and many other free thinking Americans is Home made and very in expensive!

Go get a "RED" bottle of Iso-HEET, Gas line anti-freeze . Mix 1 oz of the liquid lanolin you got from the health food store or pharmacy with the entire contents of the RED bottle of Iso-HEET. find a good pump misting bottle, like the Hornady One Shot comes in or the Dillon lube and you are good to go. you can use a pistol grip sprayer to mist your cases but it is very easy with one of them to use way more than necessary.

That is correct 1 oz of the liquid Lanolin to the entire bottle of Iso-HEET, this will last for at least 20k of 5.56 brass.

To use throw a hand full of cases in a small box, lightly mist with lube shake some, add more cases, mist and shake, and more mist and shake. When you have the box full or out of cases go to work sizing.

The inside of the necks also see a smidgen of lube and they glide off the expander like butter slides from a hot knife.

The Heat is nearly 99% isopropel and flashes off almost instantly but because of its very low surface tension it spreads over the complete case before flashing off depositing a very fine residue of lanolin, which is the main ingredient f Imperial case lube and almost all other quality lubes.

keep it simple!

Last edited by Screwbolts; 02-03-2013 at 05:33 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-08-2013, 08:39 AM
Typical Buck

After a little more research, I ordered a Frankford Arsenal dry neck lube kit through Midway. I comes with 6 brushes for different calibers and white mica. I can use the powder or liquid type lube with the brushes. It comes with a nice container and the cost was about what the nylon brushes purchased separately would have cost me. From what I understand, I just need to make sure to wipe off the mica from the outside of the neck before running it through my sizing die. I guess if I don't like it, I won't be out much money and still will have 6 new nylon brushes. HD.
Old 02-09-2013, 02:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Thats what I've been useing for so long I can't ever remember not useing it. Mine doesn't get the graphite on the out side of the neck. When the brushes loose all the lube just cover and shake to apply more lube to the brushes.

Al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.