Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading Advice >

Reloading Advice

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Advice

Old 11-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Spike

Default Reloading Advice

Hey everyone, I'm new here on the forums, and I have really enjoyed all of the things I have learned cruising this site. I love hunting, and I always been passionate about learning and understanding my hobbies more.
Recently I bought a 25-06, and I love the round! However, the cost of the ammo is absolutely killing me! With prices averaging between 30-37 dollars a box, things are getting expensive really quick. I was excited because when I took my wife to the range, she really enjoyed shooting the gun (this hasn't happened in the past). I would love for her to be able to do this with me, but I just can't afford to keep buying ammo this expensive!
As a result I have begun to look into reloading. I think I would enjoy it, and would appreciate how much money it could potentially save me. Because of my lack of knowledge, I really have no idea where to start. I think I would do fine with a single stage press, but I do not really know what attachments/things I should buy specifically for reloading my 25-06.
Could some of the more experience reloaders on here possibly suggest a "to buy list" for me? Is there any chance I could stay under 300 bucks for start up costs? Thanks for all your help guys!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, click on>> http://www.fishycamp.com/3776_page_1285643.htm You will also need a case trimmer kit, powder trickler, dies, shell holder, stainless steel dial caliper, bullet puller, bullets, brass, and powder. You can get a case cleaner kit later on.

Good luck.

Last edited by handloader1; 11-28-2012 at 05:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:44 AM
Typical Buck

Many people start reloading to save money only to find they spend much more because they shoot much more. The cost per trigger pull is less but the trigger is pulled more.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:19 AM
Fork Horn

Can you stay under $300 and start reloading? Unless you buy used from somebody that has quit reloading, no. Reloading isn't cheap anymore. The price of stuff has doubled or more since i started reloading in the late 90's.
You can't just buy one kind of powder and one kind of bullet and expect the performance reloading can give you. If you figure out cost per reloaded round vs. Factory round, it takes along time to get your money back, if at all from reloading. You reload for custom ammo tailored to your guns, not for savings.

Last edited by stapher1; 11-28-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

You may want to go to the Reloading section here where you posted, and at the top of the column you will find a topic: "new to reloading? Read this first"... It was compiled a few years ago by some of us on here to give "newbies" a good idea of what is needed for a start-up in reloading... Not totally all-inclusive for some of the more advanced loaders ( run-out gauges, electronic scales, power trimmers, etc.), but a good, basic gotta have list.....

As far as equipment goes, most gun shows usually have some vendors selling used presses, scales, dies, calipers, etc., etc... If you have someone who is experienced with this stuff available, you may ask them to go with you and help.. That's about the only way that I feel you will get a good start-up going for under $300.. However, RCBS sometimes has their starter sets on sale for less than $300, if you can catch that at the time..

Last edited by Pawildman; 11-28-2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

Can you get started for $300? Possibly...will you realize you need this and that as you go and all of a sudden you are spending $50 a month on "stuff" you "need". I have been reloading for close to 20 years, still use 2 old single stage CH "H" presses...and love them. If you are loading for one caliber I would say you will be hard pressed to really save any money...the only way to get decent prices on powder and primers is to order in bulk from places like Powder Mountain or Natcheze.com and order the max (50 pounds worth or powder/primers at a time) to maximize shipping and hazmat costs. My last order was $1200 (but that was 10,000 primers and 35 pounds of powder and some lead that should last me 10 years (that's what I told my wife anyway...hahaha)...and I reload for a dozen of so different calibers and spend a fair amount of time on the range. Several of my cal's are spendy by the box ($50 or more/20), so reloading for me is a savings per trigger pull (as several mentioned) but as also mentioned, one tends to pull the trigger more...vicious cycle!

I will say this, I really love the tranquility I experience when locked in my reloading room working on loads...and my 7 year old daughter is also starting to learn to reload and helps, so it is very enjoyable. Plus, the added accuracy for a couple of my rifles was necessary as I just couldn't find factory ammo that they would shoot well.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Listen up, as you have the month of December to get this equipment at the best prices you will find anywhere! Go onto the Cabelas website and buy the following RCBS stuff that is all on sale right now and they have free shipping through the end of December as well and RCBS has a $50 rebate for items you purchase that total $300 or more. Order the kit mentioned above in posts #2 and #3 for $279.99. They also have RCBS die sets for the 25-06 on sale for $31.99 and you will need the RCBS Universal Shell Holder #3 that is $8.99. That totals $320.97 and you can get $50 of that back by sending in the RCBS rebate coupons you print out on your computer. That will get you started and you can buy your components (brass, powder, and primers) from a local dealer near you to save on the HAZMATshipping fees that are ridiculous when added to regular shipping fees. That gets you started for under $300 and you can buy your case trimmer and a few other items as you need them since trimming shouldn't be necessary until each case is shot a number of times and then exceeds the max in the books. The kit comes with a good reloading manual and the more you read BEFORE you start the better off you will be. The main thing is to be patient, go slow ina quiet area where there are no distractions, and don't do anything you have questions about until they are all answered and you know you are doing things correctly. I was given almost all my equipment by an older friend who quit reloading and with a little training and lots of reading I'm really enjoying reloading for my 3 30-06s, a .243, and a 25-06. Good luck!!!
Old 12-05-2012, 05:30 AM
Spike

Thanks everyone for your replies! You have all been super helpful and welcoming. It's sure is nice to be able to glean wisdom from the experience .
Old 12-07-2012, 03:31 AM
Spike

You could get started for much less than $300.00 if you buy LEE products, that is 95% of what I own and use and it works great.

$104.49 Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger Kit
https://fsreloading.com/lee-breech-l...kit-90030.html

$22.48 Lee Precision Pacesetter Dies 25/06
https://fsreloading.com/lee-pacesett...506-90536.html

$3.99 Lee Precision Gage/Holder 25/06 Rem
https://fsreloading.com/lee-gagehold...rem-90124.html

$130.96 total plus shipping.

This should be pretty much everything you need to get started, sure there is better much costlier stuff you could buy, but this will all work fine. The only thing I would like to be a bit better and plan to replace with something better is the LEE safety scale, I have been using it for 13-14 years so far and it works OK but another brand would be a bit faster to use.

Then at a local gun store get you some powder/primers/bullets, should be able to get these for some where around $3.00 to $5.00 per 100 for primers, $20.00 to $30.00 per 100 for bullets and about $25.00 for a pound of powder.

Using the higher prices figure it will cost you about 20 cents a shot for powder, 5 cents primer, 30 cents bullet for a total of 55 cents a shot or $11.00 a box of 20.
You can get even lower cost if you buy in bulk and get lower prices, use different powder with lower charge weights, etc.

Right now I am able to load my 30-06 for 16 cents for bullets (Blemished from midsouth shooter supplies), 3 cents each per primer (this counts shipping and hazmat) and 7 cents worth of surplus powder (this counts shipping and hazmat) for a total of 26 cents each or $5.20 per box of 20.
If I use home cast lead bullets where the lead was free or close to it then I can drop the cost of the bullet to maybe 1 cent for electricity and bullet lube.

Michael Grace
Old 12-16-2012, 08:17 AM
Spike

Default Reloading

Lee Precision Breech Lock Challenger Kit is a good chose to start with and make sure you get a Lyman 49th edition reloading book you don't have to use the loads but real good info on reloading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.