Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
 Opinions on the most accurate varmint bullet (.224cal)? >

Opinions on the most accurate varmint bullet (.224cal)?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Opinions on the most accurate varmint bullet (.224cal)?

Old 09-11-2003, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opinions on the most accurate varmint bullet (.224cal)?

I am steadily getting my reloading setup put together, and I should be able to begin reloading inside of a month. I' m beginning to think about which components I' m going to start with, but since I' m new at metallic cartridge reloading I' m not sure where to start with all of the available options.

I' ve already got 120 Winchester cases from factory loads that are once-fired in my rifle, so they should be fire-formed to my rifle' s chamber. They are also all the same type of brass, so they should be fairly consistant, but I' m going to weigh them when I get a scale and discard any cases that are too far from the mean weight.

I' m going to use whatever primer is recommended in the manual for that load data, so that' s not as big of a concern. But what I' m really interested in finding out is what type of varmint bullet is TYPICALLY the most accurate from everyone' s collective experience. I' m trying to get away from making a decision based on manufacturer hype and biased magazine reviews, which would have you believe that their perticular bullet was the best and most accurate ever made. So between the major bullet makers, which varmint bullets are the best, and which ones should I stay away from?

It seems that the Hornady V-Max bullets are very good performers for both accuracy and terminal performance. Sierra bullets seem to have a reputation for being exceptionally accurate bullets as well.

I' m thinking that I' d like to go with 50-55 grain bullets. My rifle is a .22-250 with a 1-in-14" twist barrel. Coyote would be the primary targets of the bullets, so I thought is would be wise to go with the heavier bullets. The heavier bullets should also resist the wind a little better, which is also preferred.

Once again, your suggestions are welcome.

Mike
Old 09-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Opinions on the most accurate varmint bullet (.224cal)?

just about all the manufacturers of bullets make very good .224 Diameter bullets.

I really like Speer' s 50 grain TNT for varminting. However the very best groups I' ve ever shot was with Berger bullets.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will give you my favorite bullet & load for the 22-250. This bullet is awesome on coyotes, prairie dogs, rock chucks & gophers.
Winchester Large rifle primer,
40-grains Hodgdon H-414,
52-grain Sierra HPBT Matchking bullet.
Old 09-11-2003, 11:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will give you my favorite bullet & load for the 22-250. This bullet is awesome on coyotes, prairie dogs, rock chucks & gophers.
Winchester Large rifle primer,
40-grains Hodgdon H-414,
52-grain Sierra HPBT Matchking bullet.
I quess I didn' t realize that the Matchking bullets would be effective. I guess I always though that they were only for putting holes in paper and not for hunting, and that the hollow points in " match" bullets were just to shift the weight toward the base of the bullet. Do they expand and fragment like varmint bullets? If so, I wonder how a bullet like the A-Max would do?

Learn something everyday, right?!

Mike
Old 09-11-2003, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Sierra52-grain HPBT' s do expand & fragement just like any other varmit bullet I have used. They cost less than the Nosler Ballistic tips. I am not sure about the A-Max, I have never shot them?
I have even shot & killed one antelope buck with this load. When I gutted the buck the heart & lungs lookd like a warm jello soup. He dropped in his tracks.
Old 09-11-2003, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wolf Killer, I totally concurr....there' s no reason why one would not use a target bullet on varmints but I' m not into saving hides of ' yotes and foxes.
Old 09-12-2003, 04:26 PM

Wolf, I would really disagree regarding the expansion of a HP target bullet vs. a varmint bullet such as a V-Max or Ballistic Tip. The proof of that is in your own experience using your .22-250 on an antelope (?). Any varmint bullet would have never passed thru an antelope due to its rapid expansion.

When I first started shooting prairie dogs, I made the mistake of using Sierra target bullets till I saw that I was crippling too many animals. The bullets went clear thru without expanding. Even a prairie dog is entitled to a clean kill, so I switched to Ballistic Tips.
Old 09-12-2003, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

westbronco,
The Sierra 52-grain HPBT that I shoot did not pass thru the antelope. Infact the entrance hole looked like the bullet expanded before it entered the body cavity. I have decide on my own never to shoot another antelope with this bullet.
The rock chucks, prairie dogs & gophers that I shoot are pretty much shot in half or worse. I have had some wounded prairie dogs but that was my fault not the bullets. I have shot Nosler Ballistic tips in the past. I do not feel the Nosler Ballistic tip is any better for shooting varmits than the Sierra?
You have peaked my intrest? I am going to load up some ballistic tip & see how they preform head to head against Sierra' s on prairie dogs.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:54 PM

I have had excellent results with Nosler Ballistic Tips in 50 and 55 grn. I would suspect that Hornady and Sierra' s polymer tipped counterparts are equally as accurate though. I don' t think you would go wrong with any of the big 3 brands of polymer tipped varmint bullets, just depends on the brand that you are most loyal too.
Old 09-13-2003, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it' s not really about brand loyalty, but more an issue of availablilty. Around my area all the stores that carry reloading supplies carry a wide selection of Hornady bullets at good prices. 2nd would be Sierra in terms of availability. Nosler and Speer are on the bottom of in terms of selection and Nosler Ballistic tips are the most expensive.

Now if I order from Midway USA then the availability issue, and to somewhat lesser extent the price issue, becomes moot.

So really, I' m just looking for the best performance, but I' m leaning toward Hornady because it would allow me the comfort of being able to find the bullets I need when I need them.

Mike

Quick Reply: Opinions on the most accurate varmint bullet (.224cal)?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.