Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Found new brass tumbling media close to home!! >

Found new brass tumbling media close to home!!

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Found new brass tumbling media close to home!!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Found new brass tumbling media close to home!!

Was at Pets Mart today getting a collar for my soon to come home chocolate lab puppy when I saw a bag of something on the shelf that gave me an idea.

They had a bag of crushed English Walnut Hulls to be used for lizards. I looked a bit closer and found that it was just like what I buy for tumbling my brass for reloading just a whole lot closer and cheaper. I got a bag of about 15-17lbs (11qts by their measurment) for $12!!! And I don't have to order it and pay S&H. Right next to Wally World!!! I will mix it with some of my corncob media and off we go!!!
Old 08-31-2012, 06:37 AM
Typical Buck

Let us know how it works out. Wonder how it would work just by itself??
Old 08-31-2012, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lizard litter, great stuff. I store it in large coffee cans, I mix one batch with polishing compound for badly tarnished brass and another with Nu-Finish car polish for the final polish.
Old 08-31-2012, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
order some red polishing compound from midway and it'll be exactly like the stuff they sell for tumblers.
RR
How much though? I bought this bag for $13 and it has I am guessing over the 15lbs I said earlier. Not bad for 13 bucks and I don't have to pay S&H and can use it that day. It is just the same as what I have gotten from MidWay and Hornady. And a bunch cheaper and I can get it in 30 mins from the house.
My wholesaler near my house sells walnut media 10lbs for $10. Wholesale cost. Thats still over $1 a lb after tax. I bought over 15lbs near 20lbs for $13. By all appearances it is the same stuff. Just closer and cheaper. Am gonna buy a few more bags and stock it away and should be good to go for some time.

Last edited by SecondChance; 08-31-2012 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:23 AM
Spike

Default Lizard litter?

Been using walnut litter for about six months. I use it straight with a packet of RCBS polishing compound(powder); three hours and brass looks like new.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
sorry, wasnt very clear, add this to your walnut hulls and it will polish better, faster
http://huntandshoot.com.au/articles/...-re-activator/
and its around 10 bucks
RR
Hey RR, does that stuff make the brass feel greasy afterwards that makes me have to wipe it down afterwards?
I had used some stuff called Brass O and it worked alright but needed to wiped off afterwards as well.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, gave the new walnut media a spin last night with about 200 45ACP cases deprimed and flared, about 40 45 Colt and 460 cases readt to go as well. Let them run for an 1-1/2hrs and they came out like brand new!!!! All cept for a tiny spot in the primer pocket, seems nothing makes that area clean cept for a primer pocket brush. So we are off to a good start!!!!
Sent the Ol to get me 4-5 more bags and stock it away before everyone else wants my new "Secret" idea material!!!! I will take some and mix it 50-50 with corn cob and see how that looks and then maybe add some nu-view when it gets dirty and see how that works out. Got about 400 REALLY USED 44 mag brass that needs some attention. So we may try that on.
May just use some really ready to throw out media first to get the real junk off then put in some good stuff to detail it out.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Been a white rice user for well over 40 years. buy it by the 40 pound bag for less than 50 cents a pound and it last a really long time.

Al
Old 09-26-2012, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the tip. I rarely go into Petsmart. Looks like I will be in the near future.
Old 12-07-2012, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Let us know how it works out. Wonder how it would work just by itself??
Been using this stuff for a few years now. It works great and the price is so right!!!