Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
CCI 209 Primer Question >

CCI 209 Primer Question

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

CCI 209 Primer Question

Old 08-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Fork Horn

Default CCI 209 Primer Question

I reload shotshells for skeet and sporting clays. I use CCI 209 primers. I accidently picked up a brick or CCI 209M (magnum) primers over a year ago so I don't think I can exchange them.
Question, will they work ok for my light loads?
Old 08-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are only going to use them for your target loads, they will be fine. If you are going to be loading up any magnum loads any where near the max limit,and if they are not called for in the recipe, DON'T USE THEM!!!! May give you extreme pressures and damage.
Old 08-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Second Chance:

Just remember to work-up your loads. Good luck.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by handloader1
Second Chance:

Just remember to work-up your loads. Good luck.
Handloader 1,

Isn't that what I said?
Old 01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by SecondChance
If you are only going to use them for your target loads, they will be fine.
I must strongly disagree with this advise!

A check of your loading manuals will give safe loads for use with the CCI 209M primer, but by no means are all target loads safe with them.

NEVER, swap components or you'll be rolling the dice when you fire those loads.

Add those CCI 209M primers to a load making use of the standard CCI 209 that is already making use of very fast target powders and thus running 11,000 pressures and you'll have a load that is now over 12,000 & beyond safe standards.

The CCI 209M is very close to the hot Federal 209 primers. The standard CCI 209 & the CCI 209M are very near the opposite extremes in shotgun primers & should not be swapped.

Even more potential for problems if such a swap was done with a hunting magnum load, but not safe to do with any loading.

There are plenty of safe load formulas out there to make use of those 209M primers, use those only.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by craig
I must strongly disagree with this advise!

A check of your loading manuals will give safe loads for use with the CCI 209M primer, but by no means are all target loads safe with them.

NEVER, swap components or you'll be rolling the dice when you fire those loads.

Add those CCI 209M primers to a load making use of the standard CCI 209 that is already making use of very fast target powders and thus running 11,000 pressures and you'll have a load that is now over 12,000 & beyond safe standards.

The CCI 209M is very close to the hot Federal 209 primers. The standard CCI 209 & the CCI 209M are very near the opposite extremes in shotgun primers & should not be swapped.

Even more potential for problems if such a swap was done with a hunting magnum load, but not safe to do with any loading.

There are plenty of safe load formulas out there to make use of those 209M primers, use those only.
Maybe I should have stated LIGHT target loads? None of my target trap shooting loads are even near the 9500 pressure area much less near the 11K load area. With that kind of pressures it would past a light target load, dontcha think? All my trap shooting loads are done with either Hi-Skor 700X or Clays powder.

And I also said that not to use them with a load that is deemed a heavy/magnum load that is already in or near the limits of pressures without a magnum primer to start with. All my shotgun loads are done with either Winchester or Remington 209's. I don't even own Federal primers just for this reason to avoid this.

Last edited by SecondChance; 02-01-2013 at 10:03 AM.