HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   41 Rem. Mag. Pistol Case strech (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/362536-41-rem-mag-pistol-case-strech.html)

elkdeerbear 04-17-2012 06:09 PM

41 Rem. Mag. Pistol Case strech

Has anyone else had this problem? The gun is a Taurus 5 shot revolver. Reloads for my 41 Rem. Mag. with PMC brass expand so much I have to beat them out of the cylinder after firing. This doesn't happen with the Federal or Remington brass. It is the same load for all 3 kinds of brass, 12.6 grains of Blue Dot powder with 210 grain Hornandy HP/XTP bullets. Each different brass has been reloaded 2-3 times. Is they PMC brass just cheaper or thinner for this to happen? Has anyone had this happen with different calibers?

the Razorhead 04-17-2012 06:31 PM

you are over pressure, big Daddy...

and yes, cases DO make a difference with a given load..

Blackelk 04-18-2012 04:31 AM

Yes over pressure. I stopped using super fast burning powders in my pistol cases. I switched to IMR 4227 and have really nice consistent groups. They don't have the pop but 210 gr bullets are flying 1250 fps that's fast enough to do what it was meant to do. I don't like having to hammer out cases that's not a sense of security. PMC factory loads for the 41mag are pretty consistent and have around 1350 fps no swelling. Not a bad round for hunting. I prefer to build my own though.

elkdeerbear 04-21-2012 05:46 PM

I shot the other day with reloads in the 44 Mag. and 357 Mag. Both PMC case reloads. None of them he ever stuck. Seems sort of weird that it only happens in the 41 Mag.

SecondChance 04-22-2012 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by elkdeerbear (Post 3931462)
I shot the other day with reloads in the 44 Mag. and 357 Mag. Both PMC case reloads. None of them he ever stuck. Seems sort of weird that it only happens in the 41 Mag.

Your not getting the picture. It has nothing to do with the caliber or case. What BE and RH stated are correct. You are using a load that your weapon has deemed too much!!! It may be within specs in the loading manual( your following one I hope!!) that the specs on your weapons chamber diameters are inside the allowed manuf. specs of chamber cutting allowances, brand new chamber reamer, chamber throat tolerances are tighter than normal, lead/carbon build up etc..

Are you shooting lead or jacketed projectiles? Have you checked your case length? Are you checking case length and then using a case trimmer to cut the case back down to factory specs? All these come into play when dealing with reloading ammo that may meet or reach near maximum pressures. They even come into play when not doing so, just loading repeatedly. Has this weapon stuck any other cases before with other brass or loads, factory or reloaded?

These are all things that need to be looked into when this situation arrises, both for your safety sake and others around you, not to mention the weapons realiability integrity.

elkdeerbear 04-25-2012 02:38 PM

Yes, SecondChance, I've done all the things you mentioned. My point is the Remington and Federal case don't expand like the PMC. And the load is from the newest Hornandy reloading guide (8th edition, page 968). For that powder, Blue Dot, it is right in the middle of the maximum and minimum loads. Using the jacketed 210 grain HP/XPT bullet. I know the PMC ammo is made in South Korea. Also have used it, new and reloads in .243, .270, and 30-06. The point I was try to make with the 357 and 44 reloads is I've never had this problem. So is the PMC brass only good for one reloading? Is it that much thinner than the other brands to expand like that?