Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

.223 reloading

Old 04-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Fork Horn

yes you can. just start your loads below max and work your way up looking for pressure signs.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Spike

k, then what are the advantages of deburring the brass does it just make bullet seating easier or does it just make the bullet seat a little bit straighter in the casing.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetailguy133
k, then what are the advantages of deburring the brass does it just make bullet seating easier or does it just make the bullet seat a little bit straighter in the casing.
Both. But, you have to keep an eye on overall case length as well. Do not allow your brass to exceed the allowed max length for it can cause jamming, failure to fire, or explosion. Do you have a case trimmer? If not, get one. You will need it if you plan on loading your brass more than once and you are using any brass other than once fired.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:42 PM
Spike

no i dont have one but i have a deburring thing but its hand held thanks for the help
Old 04-07-2012, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

no i dont have one but i have a deburring thing but its hand held thanks for the help
All that deburring tool is going to do is chamfer the case mouth and allow easier loading of the projectile. It also allows the bullet to enter without the square case mouth shaving off copper jacketing while loading. You will still need to monitor the case length after firings. For that you will need a dial micrometer or case length gauge.
Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

i wouldnt have a problem with measuring every round for the right amount of powder but considering the fact that i have 1,100 rounds to load i think that will get really old really quick. and does anyone have a suggestion for primers, should i be using magnum or just normal primers?
Your powder thrower should sycle 748 pretty consistantly. The trick is to use the same technique every time. Such as after cycling, lift the handle slightly and tap it down. This lets the powder settle in the charging drum.
That being said, I normally weigh each charge too. But with you charging 10 cases and checking your weight you shouldn't have a problem provided you dump the previous ten back into the hopper if your weight is off when you check. Even if the weight is OK, a visual inspection of the filled cases SHOULD be made before seating a bullet.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I don't shoot bullets that light . But I do shoot a lot of 50 & 55 gr thru mine , have shot nothing but 748 for years, and the standard load of 26 gr is a great starting point, right out of the reloading manual. That load is all I shoot thru one of my contenders.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ok so iam reloading .223 rounds for shooting ground squirrels and i went to test out my powder measure and i get it set to the right weight then about 10 loads later i measure it and its about 10 grams heavy. then my second question does anyone have a good recipe for .223 i would like to use about 35gr to 40gr bullets but i have about 5 pounds of 748 ball powder so iam committed to using that powder. any help would be appreciated!!!!!!
Pretty sure you mean 10 grains. That is still a hell of a change, I'd definitely weigh each charge until you've got it consistent.