Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloaded Rounds

Old 03-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Nim
Spike

Default Reloaded Rounds

Just found out that reloading for hunting and pinking is a grate way to save money and have fun. BUT be for warned that for home self defense you BETTER use a factory round in your pistol {conceal carry also} or rifle or you will be in deep deep dodo.

Nim
Old 03-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why?I load for three different rifles and with one exception all shoot better than factory ammo.The Fed 150gr .280 GK load shoots amazing groups.I doubt I'll be able to do better loading but even so I come pretty close with the loads I've tried so far.
Old 03-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

He's talking about the theory that if you shoot someone in your home with your own rounds that a defense attorney might go after you. That has spread across the country on the www due to the self defense rounds made expressly to do big damage when they hit someone. It is sort of ridiculous as if you shoot somebody it sure isn't to give them a love tap and let them kill you after you fire a warning shot. If you don't intend to kill the intruder, then you shouldn't shoot to begin with and let them have a chance to do you in.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-22-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I heard this line for several years and didn't believe it at first...still don't. Why in the world will it make any difference, legally ?
If you have to shoot and kill/wound someone in self defense, regardless of what ammo you use you have effectively set yourself up for significant legal issues. I suspect that whether the ammo was handloaded by you at home or purchased from Walmart will be way down on the list of important issues for you at that point.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Nim
Spike

it has something to do with powder residue on the victum and being able to judge where the victim was by stats on a factory load something they cant do with reloads. It was a episode on Shooting Gallery and the Self Defense show on the boob tube .
Old 03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nim
it has something to do with powder residue on the victum and being able to judge where the victim was by stats on a factory load something they cant do with reloads. It was a episode on Shooting Gallery and the Self Defense show on the boob tube .
If I am doing the shooting, they won't have to worry about the powder residue on them, just look at the bullet holes and that will tell them what the perp died from, hyper chronic anal lead ingestion, in short, fast lead in their a#$!!!!! All funning aside. While working in Chicago as a LEO, I did hear of a case that was being tried and within the court proceeds, the issue was brought up that the homeowner used what was believed to be reloads,"designed to kill". I did not have any dealings with this case or near it. Just overheard it within the office. Don't know the outcome, just that is was brought up and was trying to get the homeowner in trouble for having used them. If I remember correctly, it was dismissed and moved on.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:07 PM
Typical Buck

I am curious, what is the difference in the residue of factory powder?
Old 03-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

This is probably from an opinion held by Mossad Ayoob based on the Daniel Bias case, which wasn't a self-defense case. Rather, at best it was a failed attempt to prevent a spouse from committing suicide - at worst, the murder of a spouse.

The problem in this case stemmed from the fact that the reduced-power loads Daniel Bias loaded for his wife did not leave significant powder residue as did the factory loads tested by the prosecution did at the range the defense alleged the incident to have occurred. Lack of powder residue = she couldn't have shot herself, Daniel had to have shot her and from a distance.

Chances are probably fairly high that if you're going to shoot an intruder threatening you, you're not going to wait until you're in wrestling distance from them and you're probably not going to be worried about whether you're going to leave enough powder residue to prove they died from a self-inflicted gunshot.

Ayoob might make a compelling case if you're planning on allowing your suicidal spouse access to firearms, but if you're planning on preventing someone from harming you or your family, arguing that factory loads are more defensible in court is on the paranoid side of things.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Isnt that something, i dont even own a pistol but the rounds i reload for my rifles and shotgun are reloaded to "kill" critters and if i run short on time and rounds i buy factory ammo to do the same thing lol. So why does it matter anyway. If i was put in that situation and had to take someones life with either choice of ammo, i dont think one would leave them more dead then the other.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
because the defence will then throw pre-meditated in the ring cause you specialy loaded up your own ammo that shot best and did the most damage so you could kill somebody with it.
RR
I feel that you are very correct with this RR. I seem to recall others stating at the time that was part of the prosecutors argument in that that was what the "Home Loads" were built to do was to kill and not just wound and stop the perp.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.