Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Reloading Future >

Reloading Future

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Reloading Future

Old 03-20-2012, 12:18 PM
Nim
Spike

Default Reloading Future

I have been reloading on the better part of 43 yrs and I saw a add by Remington promoting there steel cases non reloadable and it sent chills down my back is this the future of reloading ? [not] Let me make a guess on who owns Remington ammunition you think George Soros might have a hand in it the same person that might be the ownes ABC,NBC, CBS and CNBC
Old 03-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't see commercial brass cases going away anytime soon. But if they did I have no doubt some enterprising soul would come up with a way to cast brass casings and market it to the reloading community.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

To be brutally honest I have all the brass I could ever need to last me for decades. After that I won't really give a rats axx. That goes for primers, powder, bullets too. Thats my future in handloading.
Given the amount of wasted brass I see all the time at the range and anywhere people shoot they will ultimately pay for their waste...this will not be my problem.

Last edited by skb2706; 03-20-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Nothing stays constant

The problem for us old timers is change. Some change is good; some not really necessary. A lot of it can be just change. And lot it comes at a higher price; for all that change.

I don't see it just in hunting goods; I see it in fishing; household products; products I see in building supply.
There's a sporting goods product I use in fishing, no longer used in new sporting goods products. But then, I never bought it at a sporting good store. So it's still available to me.
And I'll hold out until not used by anyone.

Some military ammo was made with steel cases years ago; even sold commercial years ago. Why I remember seeing a NEW case made of some type of "plastic." Could have worried decades ago, that brass cartridges were on the way out.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

On those very few occasions that I must use a public shooting range I recall seeing dozens of customers wading thru brass rolling around all over the place. Or sit next to a guy who buys a new box of ammo, shoots the whole box and neatly puts all the empties back in the box, walks away. Or friends of mine that shoot, actually bragging about all the brass they left on the floor. My shooting box always weighs more coming home than it did going there in the first place. Again .....waste not/want not.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Fork Horn

I'm sure the reason for steel cases is simply that they cost less. The price of metals has probably tripled in the last decade. Maybe more than that. Steel cases can be made cheaply.

In the back of their mind they may realize that this will hurt reloading, allowing them to sell more ammo. On the other hand, many of us reloaders don't buy steel cases, so that hurts sales.

Think about Hornady. Their business is reloading. Even they are offering steel cased ammo.

Reloading is a big industry and I think getting bigger. We are much more likely to be threatened by the govt making it illegal than not being able to buy components.

I have a few midway and cabelas catalogs from 7-8 years ago that I flipped through. It is interesting how much some things have gone up in price, and some things haven't.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep the big "Obama Election" ammo/component scare of 2008 sent primer prices to as high as $75-80 /1000. I have some I bought 2 years prior to that cost me $19/1000. Some I bought two months ago $33/1000. Cost of raw materials is not the only driving force in the prices changes. Political climate has as much to do with it as anything.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706
Yep the big "Obama Election" ammo/component scare of 2008 sent primer prices to as high as $75-80 /1000. I have some I bought 2 years prior to that cost me $19/1000. Some I bought two months ago $33/1000. Cost of raw materials is not the only driving force in the prices changes. Political climate has as much to do with it as anything.
I've got some I bought in the 1990's that was $14./1000