Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
How many times do you load between trimming >

How many times do you load between trimming

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

How many times do you load between trimming

Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
Spike

Default How many times do you load between trimming

I have reloaded my factory .300 WSM cases once already without trimming. I checked the twice fired cases and they haven't seemed to stretch any at all so far. They still measure around 2.100 ". When do you guys make the decision to trim before loading again. I don't load them to maximum suggested capacity. I usually drop back at least one grain below max.

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 01-23-2012, 11:57 AM
Spike

I trim every time. I seat my bullets into a cannelure right at the edge so the cannelure is almost hidden. Therefore, if I waited until max case length was achieved, the case mouth wouldn't be in the cannelure anymore.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm not in a hurry to reload a bunch of cartridges so I also trim every time. If only for consistancy's sake. It is really not necessary. This way I don't have to check every case prior to loading to be sure it doesn't exceed max case dimension. Camming a case neck with bullet into the rifling can cause a pressure spike which may be dangerous.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I trim my cases every loading. I want everything to be exactly same for the sake of accuracy.

Good luck.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Spike

Definitely check for an over-long case with every loading. If trim is required, do it.

I know a guy who had been reloading a few years. Came to me because I've been reloading since 1971. He was having trouble closing the bolt on his .308 rifle. A load he'd worked up to safely was now exhibiting signs of high-pressure.
But what bugged him most was the difficulty of closing the bolt on a round.
When I asked him how often he trimmed his cases, his reply was classic, "You have to do that every time?"
He'd reloaded 3 or 4 times without trimming. He'd never trimmed before, though he had the tools to do so.
Trimming is very important. I wish more emphasis were placed on it by reloaders.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of excellent advice here from those who know. Consistent accuracy= consistent uniformity. All phases of handloading. As bronko said, I'm in no big hurry. Just do it....
Old 01-27-2012, 04:10 PM
BTM
Fork Horn

I check them every five shots or so - but then again I neck size.
Old 01-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Depends on what I am loading for. My BR rifles, EVERYTIME. My varmint rifles, EVERYTIME. My IHMSA pistols, EVERYTIME. My hunting/shooting rifles, I CHECK everytime, don't trim everytime unless needed.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:49 PM
Spike

Default there is another question?

I am new to reloading . I am waiting for reloader kit >>>>. BUT neck sizing or full length pros and cons.
Old 02-25-2012, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

So long as the case length is at or below the length shown in the specs there's no need to trim.I usually only neck size so the brass flows less vs full length.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.