Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What Reloader Is Good To Buy? >

What Reloader Is Good To Buy?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What Reloader Is Good To Buy?

Old 01-08-2012, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

i done alot of research and rcbs is the way to go...as long as they arent bent, you can even buy an old one and it should last forever. i found whole kits, usually in the winter when im broke, online used for just a couple hundred bucks(not deer). so look for a good deal... craigslist?
Old 01-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another option is the turret press, I have the Lyman T-mag. Reloading isn't as quick as a progressive, but it cost about the same as a single stage press. On my turret I have dies for .38 spcl, .380 acp, and 9mm. Changing between calibers is as easy as rotating the turret, and the dies stay in adjustment.
http://www.basspro.com/Lyman-TMag-II...0202721/144442
Old 01-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Spike

You can't go wrong with RCBS. My single stage Rock Chucker has been going strong since around 1980.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:32 PM
Spike

Smile heres the thing

you can ask around and we can all tell you about what we use and what we like. which is great, but you make the decision in the end... i use an RCBS single stage, i go to the range with my rifles at least 3 times a month and poke at least 20 holes with each rifle i bring. usually my 7mmRM but sometimes a 7-08 and 45-70. 120 rounds minimum a month. I dont sit at the bench every night but i dont do a long haul once a month either. This is the same press my father used. and sometimes still uses. when was younger my dad and i went to the range at least 12 times a month. most of the time for a couple hours at a time. we took 2 .223 ARs , 2 .44's , 2 .357's, a 45 70, my own rifles one of them is my 7-08 and a 270, his 270 and some 22's which are cheap.Absolutely throw some brass. He reloaded all of this EVERY WEEK. except 22lr of course. using this single stage press. Used a progressive for a bit, sold it because he found it useless.

heres why
if you shoot in your back yard every single day thousands of rounds per week, go ahead get a progressive. ive shot alot of rounds and never found a use for one because unless you either go with your buddies every other day and shoot 1000 rounds or shoot every day 1000 rounds a day its a waste of money.

single stage press has my heart. i like a turret for handgun.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Spike

somebody like um ^ my wife forgets to log out lol
somebody like um
< her husband fails to pay attention and replies to posts. lol i wrote that jr lol ^^^
Old 02-19-2012, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

another vote for the Lyman T-Mag.

I load everything from .22 Hornet & .17 Remington to .45-70 and .300 Win Mag with it.
Old 02-20-2012, 07:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plenty of really good press' to choose from including today's Rockchucker.That said if you want the best Forster is IMO it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/265...le-stage-press
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found my old 1980s RCBS RockChucker on craiglist for little or nothing.
Thing is practically brand new looking.
All I use is RCBS products and they have outstanding customer service.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 AM
jp4
Spike

The lee classic cast press is better than the RCBS rockchucker. There, I said it! It has one feature that makes it better, the way the spent primers are handled. They go straight through the middle of the hollow ram into a plastic hose that can be directed into a can, bottle or the cap can be left on the hose to accumulate the primers. It made of cast iron that has old railroad rails in it.

The all steel linkage is adjustable for right/left hand use and length of throw. It able to accept the LNL bushings ,,,,----if you're crazy enough to want to use them. Also, the lee safety prime makes primer feeding automatic. IIRC, it's also available with the lee breech lock bushings,(an answer to a problem that doesn't exist, same with the LNL).

If you're wanting something that's faster than a single stage, then the lee classic turret is the answer. It too has the spent primer through the ram disposal system. Coupled with the safety prime and pro auto disk powder measure, it can easily make 300 rounds per hour. Caliber changes are less than a minute, IF you buy extra turrets at 10-12 bucks apiece. You set the dies once, never have to screw them in an out again.

No, I don't work for lee. I just appreciate their loaders and related equipment. I've been loading since 1962, and using lee equipment for that long. The first shells I loaded were 8mm mauser loads using a classic lee hammer loader. Some call it the whack-a-mole-loader.