Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What Reloader Is Good To Buy? >

What Reloader Is Good To Buy?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What Reloader Is Good To Buy?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default What Reloader Is Good To Buy?

I used to use my Fathers RCBS Rockchucker, and a friends RCBS Rockcucker reloader in the 1980's. I think thats what it is called.
But things are made cheaper than they were back then.
So my question is,

Which reloader set up is any good.
I would like to get a progressive press.

Thank You,

jrbsr

Last edited by jrbsr; 01-06-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Your Dad's RCBS Rockchucker will do a great job for you. Dillon makes a great progressive press. Good luck

Last edited by handloader1; 01-06-2012 at 11:21 AM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by handloader1
Your Dad's RCBS Rockchucker will do a great job for you. Dillon makes a great progressive press. Good luck
My Dad passed away about 6 years ago, and his wife sold every thing of his.
So I can't use it any more.
My friend got to old to reload and gave his reloading stuff to his son.

So I will have to get my own, when I can get the $$
I think I may get one of the torrent progressive press's that you just pop off the torrent to change calibers.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rockchucker is a fine press, I have been using mine for the past 24yrs.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know more people who use a Rockchucker than I know who use any other press - there's absolutely nothing wrong with a single-stage. A progressive really shines if you're shooting a LOT (and reloading a LOT) of pistol- and small rifle-caliber ammunition. I've used Dillons (probably the gold-standard of progressives) and never have been able to duplicate the consistency I can achieve with the plain old Rockchucker if my goal is precision. Not to say that I can't turn out a LOT of plinking ammo with a progressive.

I've not been impressed with many of the "torrent" (turret?) presses I've looked at. Save the money and put it into the other accessories you need. It's not that difficult to change from one die to the next in a single-stage press.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a RCBS Rockchucker press, I have used it over 20 years with out any problems, it is a great press. I recently got a Ponsness Warren Metalic II, multi stage press that I really like. I also have a Hornady Lock & Load Progressive press that works great, I only use it for loading my 223's.
Old 01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jrbsr:

Sorry about you losing your father. I lost my dad in 1981, and I really miss him. God bless you.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

RCBS Rockchucker ..... 25yrs and counting with no issues, it's been a very good press for me. Mike
Old 01-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Rockchuker and have always liked it. Last year I bought a Lee Classic Turret and have really been impressed with it. I load all my pistol ammo on it and most of my rifle.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:14 AM
Spike

Default Press?

It depends on what you are loading and what volume of shooting you do. I have single stage for rifle and progressive for handguns. If you are not a "volume" shooter a quality progressive press is a waste of money.
The RCBS is an excellent choice in a single stage.
GOOD LUCK and GOOD SHOOTING!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.