Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Large pistol primers in 270 win? >

Large pistol primers in 270 win?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Large pistol primers in 270 win?

Old 10-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Spike

Exclamation Large pistol primers in 270 win?

I was buying some primers for my 270 and I accidentally picked up CCI #300 large pistol primers in stead of #200 large rifle primers. Thanks to my mom, i have a habit of grabbing an item from the bottom of the stack, and i neglected to check the box i grabbed . . . STUPID! I cant return them, but i have read about people using large pistol primers instead of large rifle primers when primers were scarce. I also read one of the problems with this is that the rifles may pierce the primers, or they may not ignite slower powders, will these work okay with my savage axis and H4350 powder, assuming that it doesnt piece them when i test them in a spent casing? I NEED AN ANSWER QUICK PLEASE!
Old 10-06-2011, 06:32 PM
Fork Horn

don't do it. Softer cups on pistol primers. You'll find your accuracy fall off and you'll be piercing primers.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sell them off and buy the correct primers. And don't blame your mom for your mistake, she won't be there to hold your hand when you are loading....will she?

Any decent loading manual will clearly state that you should not substitute components. In this case its more than a substitution, they are not made for the application.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by skb2706

Any decent loading manual will clearly state that you should not substitute components. .
Really? The load data in all of my manuals is set in stone and is now a recipe instead of a "Guideline" . I cannot substitute a Federal primer if my manual listed a Rem? I cannot use data for a bullet of same weight of similar construction (substitution)? I cannot use my firearm, I must use the one used in the manual? I must use the same lot number of powder, primers and brass?

Now that that is done, Show where in the loading manuals that "clearly state that you should not substitute components". Mine say that IF I substitute any component I should start low and work back up, but NONE say that I cannot substitute components of similar design, weight and construction.

Now to the OP, do not use these primers in your 270. This is not a component substitution, they are simply the wrong primers and will give you issues you do not need.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

I think he was referring to type of primer, not brand. Now in shotgun it's pretty much written in stone what component's to use. I never substitute components then.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

There are some people that use pistol primers in rifle cartridges. Its been awhile since I read that article, but I think it was in a .22 hornet, which is not a high pressure round, nor does it have much case capacity. Most importantly, it was someone who knew what they were doing.

Do not use pistol primers in a .270 win.

Save them, some day you may have a pistol, or maybe you can trade them to someone who does.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Spike

I went back the next day and because i still had the receipt and because i did not wait a week or so, the manager was kind enough to make an exception for me although it was against their policy. And, I wasn't blaming my mom, i was just pointing out that i got the habit from her which I think is a good practice. It was my own carelessness that didn't check it, but it would be nice if cci had like a color coding system of put a picture of a pistol on them or something.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Or writing that says #300 Large pistol primers. Has always worked for me.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Large rifle primers are recomended for such high presure pistol cartridges like the 454 Casull. But like others have commented, pistol primers are of a thinner metal cup and may not hold up to modern rifle pressures.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:43 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by charlie brown
Or writing that says #300 Large pistol primers. Has always worked for me.
So that's what labels are for...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.