Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Single shot pistol bullets in a rifle. >

Single shot pistol bullets in a rifle.

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Single shot pistol bullets in a rifle.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Single shot pistol bullets in a rifle.

I have a few boxes of some Horn. 130grn spitzer SSP bullets that I used to use in my Lone Eagle .308 pistol. I am wanting to play with them in my Savage 308 rifle. Anyone know of any problems with this? I don't see any real difference besides they say they are for pistols. Whatcha think?
Old 09-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think you should be alright, but I would Hornady a call to make sure and be safe. Good luck.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

In my "Hornady Fifth Edition" reloading manual they show a 130 gr. Single Shot Pistol (SSP) bullet in the .308 Win. rifle data section. I called Hornady technical help, and they said, "The jacket has the same thickness for the 130 gr. SSP as the 130 gr. SP", so they are ok to use in a .308 cal. rifle. The bullet has all the the engineering of the innerlock bullet.

Ridge Runner is right some pistol bullets have thinner jackets so they can expand easier. Good luck

Last edited by handloader1; 09-06-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by handloader1
In my "Hornady Fifth Edition" reloading manual they show a 130 gr. Single Shot Pistol (SSP) bullet in the .308 Win. rifle data section. I called Hornady technical help, and they said, "The jacket has the same thickness for the 130 gr. SSP as the 130 gr. SP", so they are ok to use in a .308 cal. rifle. The bullet has all the the engineering of the innerlock bullet.

Ridge Runner is right some pistol bullets have thinner jackets so they can expand easier. Good luck
Greatly appreciate both replys. RR, I know what you are speaking of, for I have some of those as well and you are right, they frag like a TNT round. Coyotes love them!!!!!!!
HL, thanks for the call and look up info. You know know sometimes manuf's take an old product and put a new coat on it and away they go. Same old stuff. Thanks guys.
Hey RR, you are right on the with the Bal. Tips. I finally settled on a Nosler 165 Green BT with IMR4064 and Re-15 out of my 14" Lone Eagle and it will keep 3 sub MOA at 100yds if I keep my head out of my butt. They are great out to 300yds on yotes. Haven't pushed any past that yet. Asking a lot of a 14" barrel after that.

Last edited by SecondChance; 09-07-2011 at 03:40 AM.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I have loaded the 180 SSP bullets in my .358 Win and lasy year killed 2 deer with them at about 5 yards.. First one was shot directly in the chest and travled to the left shoulder and stuck in the skin behing the shoulder. Perfect mushroom.. The other deer was looking right at me and I hit it in the neck.. DRT..