HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   Full length vs neck sizing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/346465-full-length-vs-neck-sizing.html)

C120 07-05-2011 12:27 PM

Full length vs neck sizing

What is the advantagle of neck sizing over full lenght sizing? It's my understanding that when loading rounds that will be used in one particular rifle is when you could neck size only, is this correct? Why would one want to neck size only?

Obviously, I'm just getting into reloading. I've read three reloading manuals but not reloaded my first round yet.

Coyote Kid 07-31-2011 11:07 AM

C120
IMO it is best to adjust the FL resizing die to just set the shoulder back a couple of thousands of an inch for best chamber fit and function in a bolt or single shot hunting rifle. When FL sizing you are restoring the case to SAMMI specs.; Sizing the neck enough to hold the bullet and not working the case after each fireing. Sometimes a certain amount of improved accuracy can be had with neck sizing; but don't beleive it will be very much. In my rifles the partial sizing has worked well and the case is not worked as much as full lengh sizing. Hope this helps.

CK

harter66 08-08-2011 03:13 PM

Depending on the application, the above is correct.

I've 3 rifles in an 06' case . 1 must be full lengthed every time, they won't chamber otherwise. In the others sizing just half of the neck improved groups by a visible margin. The thing in those 2 is that 1 has a chamber that is correct at the neck base but is long from the base to the shoulder and the other just has a fat shoulder. Now its only say .002-4 on each, but full sizing each time reduces case life from 10 loads to 5 in those 2. In 1 of the 3 the half necking gave me group reduction w/a good load from 2" to 1" and allowed me to move the velocity up by 100fps and keep my 1.5" 100yd hunting load group.

It is really a gun to gun thing. If you have a tight/minimum chamber you wont see nearly the group or case life change that you will see in 1 that is near maximums or that is on the long side of the headspace range.

Howler 08-10-2011 02:26 PM

as has been stated, one reason is possible better accuarcy, and the second reason is often times longer brass life.

BTM 08-13-2011 05:06 AM

The best thing I ever did was buy Lee Collet neck sizing dies. I get a lot more life out of them that way. I have almost 20 reloads on my 22-250 cases now, and who knows how much longer they'll last in my M70.

Of course, these are varmint rounds where I don't mind the action being a little stiff. For bigger stuff --especially dangerous game-- I'd want something that feeds a little easier.

stapher1 08-14-2011 04:04 PM

One thing to add to neck sizing that while it's truely custom ammo, it should only be shot out of the rifle it came from, DON'T give your buddy some of your neck sized ammo to try out.

HEAD0001 08-15-2011 08:44 PM

The way that you size your cartridge case is dependent upon each individual rifle. The use of the rifle. And the actual nature of the case itself that changes from cartridge to cartridge.

The advantage to neck sizing is a couple of things. First it normally wears your brass less, and you get longer brass life(more shots). Second it allows your brass to conform exactly to your chamber and can allow for more consistent velocities(notice I said can-not always).

Neck sizing is a good practice to be used on varmint rifles, and bench rifles, and any other hunting were 100% ammo reliabilty is not an issue. If you have a slightly tight casing it won't hurt you on a ground hog hunt.

But if you are big game hunting back in the mountains then you want to full size your brass, and make sure they function 100%. You don't want to mess up that once in a lifetime shot.

There are also concerns when it comes to different actions. Usually for a lever or semi. you should always FL size. Sometimes some guys even use a small base die for the rifles, as well as pump rifles. But that is another subject.

There are too many variables to say which is best. You really need to give all the specifics of what you want to do before you can make a real decision as to what type of sizing to do. Tom.