Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Short Range 7mm mag deer bullet >

Short Range 7mm mag deer bullet

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Short Range 7mm mag deer bullet

Old 06-22-2011, 06:36 PM
Spike

Default Short Range 7mm mag deer bullet

I got a 7mm magnum for my birthday 2 years ago and have yet to hunt with it. I'm not really use to or know a whole lot about magnums. I hunt with a 270. I recently did some shooting a few weeks ago with some 7mm factory ammo. I shot rem core lokts, federal power shoks, and trophy bear claws (reloads). Results were 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". The power shoks shot the best. I hear lots of talk about magnums not expanding fast enough and just punching a small exit whole through deer at short ranges. I have several hunting spots in different counties that I hunt at, and in some areas my longest shot is 30 yards and others can offer up to 300 yards (private fields). I really like hornady sst, but I'm afraid at magnum velocities and shorter ranges it would act like a bomb. I'm curious as to what would be a good bullet or factory ammo for a 7mm magnum at the shorter ranges too.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't be too skeered..slow stuff down a little if it'd make you more comfortable. I whacked one with a 154sst full steam (one of my favorites for...everything now) inside a hundred. It worked I've used way smaller bullets closer/faster and they just keep going down.
Old 06-24-2011, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by awganr
I hear lots of talk about magnums not expanding fast enough and just punching a small exit whole through deer at short ranges. I have several hunting spots in different counties that I hunt at, and in some areas my longest shot is 30 yards and others can offer up to 300 yards (private fields). I really like hornady sst, but I'm afraid at magnum velocities and shorter ranges it would act like a bomb. I'm curious as to what would be a good bullet or factory ammo for a 7mm magnum at the shorter ranges too.
Huh? Bombs kill just fine. The talk about bullets not opening up at close range is bull. Any bullet that will open up at long range will at short range.

I have used sst's in a .30-06, and at short range, they did make quite a hole when they hit bone. That was with 180 grains so velocity should have been relatively low. It didn't happen all the time, and they were pretty good bullets overall.

For just all around hunting out to 300 yards I would recommend Triple shocks. The only drawback to them is lower BC and that won't come into play till you get out there farther. That and they are expensive.

Otherwise, bonded bullets like the interbond or accubond will perform at any range. Expansion will be less at long range.

The only reason for premium bullets in my view is that they will hold together better, and not act like a varmint bullet.

I don't think that plain jane regular bullets will be that bad. Avoid shooting the shoulder blades and they will work fine.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM
Fork Horn

I would use the 7mm for you expect longer shots and just pick a good 160gr that will work on any game like a Accubond or Interlock.

For closer shots on deer say 200 yards and under the 270win with rem 150gr corelokt SP which is a round nosed bullet is tops and easy on the pocket book too. You can hear a thump when they hit, and as mentioned shoot behide the shoulder to avoid bone and a mess.
Old 06-29-2011, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

160 gr Nosler Partitions work like magic in the 7mm mags, they even stop global warming,lol. All seriousness, that is what I load in my 7mm Rem Mag. Each gun likes one load better then the next gun, so you will have to experiement. For a decent premium bullet that isnt outrageous in price, the Partition performs. As Prairie Wolf said, bullets going thru and not expanding is bull. I think when such events occurred, you will likely see a bullet pushed beyond its design limits, aka generic bullet or non bonded bullet at magnum velocity, at short range. What happens is, the bullet breaks up, and the heaviest piece of shrapnel flies out the backside. I bet I could duplicate it with 150gr sierras in my 300RUM at 30 yards!
Old 06-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Spike

Thanks guys
Old 07-05-2011, 01:19 AM
Fork Horn

The last 4 deer i have killed have been 40-125 yds. 7 Rem Mag with 140 grain Sierra GK @ 3000 FPS. They perform very well at those distances and dont tear up too bad with lung shots. If you put it through the shoulder, well thats messy. Its just the nature of the beast. The farthest I have had a deer go after being hit with this load was my Dads deer this past season. It was a stout buck an he hit it through the lungs. He traveled about 60 yds leaving a bloody highway straight to him. Most shots are DRT.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Typical Buck

IMHO the Triple Shocks allow you to shoot lighter bullets for good trajectory without giving up ANY penetration/retention (120-140 in 7mag). I've been shooting triple shocks since the 90s and from my 243 too my Lazzeroni Warbird they WON'T come apart and that includes double shoulder hits at bowranges with guns like my 7mag, 300Wby and the Lazz. (NOTHING says confidence like live testing. )

Stoke up that 7mag of yours with 120-140 Tshocks and don't worry about the range. The bullet will perform flawlessly, regardless of distance. That being said, if you are a believer of NO PASS THRUS/"Expend all energy inside" then you WON'T like the Tshocks. The only way I know to recover one is to fire it into the ground and dig it out. I've NEVER recovered one from a deer and that includes some long range "TX heartshots" I've performed. I prefer FULL penetration. I guess it's the bowhunter in me, assumin the animals don't drop at the shot at least with an exit hole you get immediate blood loss and usually a trail Stevie Wonder could follow.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:17 AM
Spike

why a 160 grain a Hornady 139 sst will kill an animal at 3400 fps
100 yds 939 pounds
200 yds 771 lbs
300 yds 631 lbs
400 yds 514 lbs
500 yds 416 lbs
Max Point blank range is 334 yds when zeroed at 284 yds. plus 2.3 inches at 100 yds.
this is plus or minus 3 inches
so just aim at your target and hit it.
how big are the deer in your area?
when possible I always shoot them between
the shoulder and spine with no meat loss.
and always DRT.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:24 AM
Spike

I shoot the Hornady SST's in my 7mag and they work great... Tighest group @ 100 so far is a measure .470" . You'll be pleased with them for sure... Get ready though, that gun pops a punch no matter the distance lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.