Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Any 480 Ruger reloaders? >

Any 480 Ruger reloaders?

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Any 480 Ruger reloaders?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Any 480 Ruger reloaders?

I'm looking for bullets/powders other have had success with with this cartridge. I recently bought a Super Redhawk in this chambering and so far have been limited to testing 400 gr Lee cast bullets with 2400. I get really good accuracy, but from the reading I've done with the scant loading data out there, 296 or H110 is supposed to be better, but haven't tried either yet.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I see its close to my 460. I shoot 45gr of H110 with 240gr xtp out of it. I can't imagine shooting 400gr.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see its close to my 460.
Its not too close to a 460 or even 454. What it does do is shoot heavy bullets at moderate velocities and put big holes in things
Case length is the same as a 44 magnum and max loads for a 400 gr bullet for H110 seem to be around 20 gr. Like i said, published data is scarce, I bought the latest lyman handgun load book, but it mainly lists jacketed loads (325gr XTPs). Seems like what most people do is load up incrementally until they get sticky extraction, then back off.
I really don't want to do that, I'm getting my chronograph back from a friend this weekend to see what I'm getting velocity-wise. from what I've read, I should be close to the top load for 2400 (~17 gr), the accuracy has gotten much better as I increased the charge, I just don't want to push my luck.
I can't imagine shooting 400gr.
Nothing to it, they only get pushed to 1100-1200 fps, tops. Its like shooting a very hot 44 magnum load out of a lighter 44 magnum gun.

Last edited by Briman; 05-27-2011 at 07:58 PM.