Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Best bullet for elk? >

Best bullet for elk?

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Best bullet for elk?

Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by elkdeerbear
Don't know if this has been covered, as I've only been on the site a month or so. What is everyones best bullet for elk hunting? I've done good with the Nosler Partitions and recently started buying the Nosler Accubonds. Use them in a 338 Remington Ultra Mag and 375 H&H Mag. Anyone have any experience with Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Swift A-Frames or Speer Grand Slam? Thanks for the input.
I'd say there is nothing wrong with what you have.

The bear claws, A-frames, and Grand Slams are more expensive I believe, the terminal performance may be slightly better, but you are not shooting cape buffalo so it is moot. The ballistic coefficients are not as good either.

So I've never seen a reason to try them. I needed a bullet to hold together better, and could sacrifice BC, I'd use a triple shock.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
Spike

Thanks for the input everyone. I've never tried the Berger VLD's. Might have to one day. That was alot of expermiting you did there with your 30-06 Colorado Cajun. Might even get some match bullets and see if they shoot any different than the hunting bullets.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by South33
Personally I prefer Berger VLD bullets. They perform flawlessly in my .325 & .270. Not to mention they have put a bunch of mule deer & elk on my wall...

-South
Are you sure you use them in your .325?
Old 05-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Are you sure you use them in your .325?
You do you say this? If you contact the company out of Fullerton, CA. they offer any bullet needed. Being as the .325 & .30 TC has turned out to be a "fad" cartridge they need to be "special ordered" straight from the factory. I have loaded the .325 since they came available & the VLD's & Nosler Partitions preform flawlessly in the .325.

-South
Old 05-01-2011, 12:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everytime I've checked they don't produce anything larger then .30 cal, I know they've been developing the .338 VLD for quite a while and should be coming out with them soon. I don't know why they would spend time making a .325 since there's basically zero demand for them when there's a HUGE demand for their .338...

Not trying start an argument, I've just never saw a .325 cal Berger...
Old 05-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Spike

I've loaded up Nosler Accubonds for the 300, 338, and 375 calibers. Haven't used them for hunting yet, but they group good in target practice.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by elkdeerbear
I've loaded up Nosler Accubonds for the 300, 338, and 375 calibers. Haven't used them for hunting yet, but they group good in target practice.
I tried them in my 338, I used 225gr. Accubonds, the only thing I didnt like about them is out on the range while shooting, I had some in the magazine and actually had the tips break off under the recoil. I have never had this happen with any other polymer tip bullets that I have tried. I though that maybe I had a bad batch, I bought another box but yet to try them. My dads friend told me has experienced the same thing with them in his 270., so maybe it is common. I have never shot any animals with them so I dont know how they preform, but others seem to have great sucsess with them. After seeing the tips break off, last year for elk season I went back to the good ole stand by that all premium bullets have been compared to for years, the Nosler Partition.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Everytime I've checked they don't produce anything larger then .30 cal, I know they've been developing the .338 VLD for quite a while and should be coming out with them soon. I don't know why they would spend time making a .325 since there's basically zero demand for them when there's a HUGE demand for their .338...

Not trying start an argument, I've just never saw a .325 cal Berger...
There isn't anything to argue about. Like I said; get ahold of Dave Lenz at the main office in California & he can hook you up with the .325 bullets; (some would say the prices they charge for "special orders" are outrageous & that is why I tend to get a more available bullet from other companies) Like I said before the .325 is a "fad" cartridge & they are not going to produce them in bulk anytime soon or ever for that matter. Take my advice... don't buy a .325 wsm haha

Like you said though it doesn't make sense to not produce the .338 & offer a bullet that will be unheard of in a couple years; im not going to complain though...

-South
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've had very good success on Elk over the years with Nosler Accubond 180 gr. They hold together well on thick hided, big game like Elk and are very accurate bullets.