Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
What I wish I knew when I got started.... >

What I wish I knew when I got started....

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

What I wish I knew when I got started....

Old 04-15-2011, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RobertSubnet
I was seriously considering the Lee. But looking over the Amazon reviews, a number of people said that the powder dispenser (sorry I do not know the correct term) spilled powder. And apparently it spilled more than just a little. Every review I have read about RCBS has been favorable. I also believe that you get what you pay for. I plan on taking a trip to Cabelas, hopefully they will have both units available to try on the floor. But I think my mind is made up, RCBS.
I haven't found a powder measure YET that I like. They'll probably all do fine with ball or flake powder, but (JMO) you need a trickler and a scale if you're going to throw charges of extruded powder. My RCBS uniflow varies by as much as 0.3 grains with H4350 and Varget (my mainstay powders). That's significant.

I was able to knock that down a bit with the baffle, but when using the Uniflow, I nearly always throw short intentionally now and trickle the rest of the charge.

Last edited by homers brother; 04-15-2011 at 04:17 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I love my RCBS Powder Measure with RCBS Micrometer installed.
I rarely have to use a trickler.
The micrometer makes the thing accurate.
I was having to use a trickler on almost all rounds loaded before I installed the micrometer and now I can load rifle and RARELY have to use one.
I highly recommend it.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

You can certainly start with a good qualiity non- digital scale. I used one for years, and treated properly they never wear out. Digital speeds things up, but I have never found they are more accurate. Calipers are essential for checking case lengths. which stretch after each shot. Especially for semi auto rounds, this is crucial.
I would start with the .38/.357 round. It is a strait wall case which is very easy and forgiving to reload, not to mention that the cases are cheaper than rifle rounds for the inevitable screw ups while adjusting the dies.
The cleaner your cases are when sizing and reloading, the more consistent and easier your loading quality will be. There are inexpensive washes you can use which work fine, but a tumbler is easier when you can afford one: just be sure to clean the cases, regardless. I have many hunting friends, but none of them load anylonger. You can certainly self teach, just follow and stick to the safety guidelines: you also are less liikely to pick up the teachers bad habits.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Simplify!

You don't need to try 400 different powders and bullet combos and wear out your rifle trying to find the best load. Unless you want to.

Try to find powders that will work in more than one caliber.

For example. Varget, or H4895, or IMR8202 will work in the .223, the .30-30, and and in the .30-06. There will be a powder that will work in both the .45 acp and the .38 special. The .357 might need its own, if you want full power loads. This way you can avoid the mess I have created. I have probably 15+ partial cans of different kinds of powder, never enough of each kind to work up a good load. I can try some loads, and then I run out of either the bullets or the powder. So buy larger quantities of fewer components, especially if you already know your gun likes a certain bullet.

The best part about this is you can buy powder cheaper in 8lb jugs, and therefore you will not be switching lots or running out as often. The bad part is there always seems to be a new powder you will want to try.

Don't try to chase an extra 25 fps. Neither you nor your target will know the difference.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't found a powder measure YET that I like. They'll probably all do fine with ball or flake powder, but (JMO) you need a trickler and a scale if you're going to throw charges of extruded powder. My RCBS uniflow varies by as much as 0.3 grains with H4350 and Varget (my mainstay powders). That's significant.

I was able to knock that down a bit with the baffle, but when using the Uniflow, I nearly always throw short intentionally now and trickle the rest of the charge.

homers brother
EXACTLY!! Couldn't agree more. (That's why I used ball powders only and a Redding powder measure with a baffle for it).

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Shoot...3Bcat104661180

Last edited by warbirdlover; 04-28-2011 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Buy the micrometer for the RCBS Uniflow and you won't regret it.
I can set that thing to throw dead on measures with Tightgroup, Universal, Varget and 4831