Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

New reloader

Old 04-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did purchase and read a manual. I just missed that part. Luckily I didn't keep going lower. However I am curious to why the loads within the range were sticking and the one that wasn't worked better.

When we first started we used the split case and bullet to measure the rifle for seating depth and the bullet we were loading. This rifle has more space (freebore) than the magazine will allow so we just went off of the Barnes COAL dimensions.

This is what was used.

CCI Magnum 250 Large rifle primers
7828ssc 79gr
140 gr TTSX
COAL 3.57"

The rifle is a 7mm STW custom built on a rem 700 action and a Schilen 26" barrel.

I have a few loaded with 80 and 81 gr but I didn't want to shoot them since the 79 gr cartridges were sticking. That is why I went lower. I am stumped now I guess.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

i like the 7828 in my Remingto 7mm stw, i used large rifle primers. if you use magnum primers drop your powder back, most manuals will show what primer they were workin the loads up with.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

HogHunter, Thanks for the reply. I found a lot of people liked the 7828 in the STW that was why I started with that powder. Most of the loads were done with the Federal GM215M primers and no matter how many stores I try I can never find any in stock. What would the next closest match be that I could go to?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talked to one of the guys at Barnes and they suggested I try a different powder as well. I talked to a fried of mine that has 4831 and Retumbo. So I am going to try these as well and see what I can come up with. If they do the same I will probably go with the 160 gr accubonds.