Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Breaking decapping pins! >

Breaking decapping pins!

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Breaking decapping pins!

Old 03-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Banned

Default Breaking decapping pins!

RCBS gear. Brand new. I've broke 3 allready and have maybe had maybe 40 - 50 casings through it. The threads on the threaded rod are stripped now as well. I have a whole new assembly on order. What am I doing wrong?
I've had to cut open the casings with a dremmel to get the expander and broken pins out.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Holy cow, you got some probs that you can hang your hat onto.

I think I have only broke one pin and it was with a set of ancient dies. I use a hvy duty deprimer. I rarely use the one on the sizer. If your breaking pins, then the rod that connects to the sizer is not hitting the primer square. Only way it can happen.

Take out your sizer, and roll it in yourhands. Is the deprimer pin/threaded rod wobbling? Are you tightening down the deprime rod with the nut on top of the sizer? If its loose, its going to hit the primer not stright on and break the pin.

Another thing is the shell holder. If your using the wrong one, or a bad one, your pin will not be hitting the primer square and push it one way or the other.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like BC said, you must be hitting the case. Make sure your expander/decapper assembly is tight in the die. It should line itself up to center. You may have bent the assembly from removing a stuck case, or not having a case all the way in the shellholder could have done it. The new assembly will probably solve your problems. I bent one once and rcbs sent me a new one for free.
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

With the die in your hand loosen the rod. Take a resized brass and slide it into the die ,insert the rod/decapping pin into the die. Work it around so the pin goes into the flash hole of the brass. Tighten the locking nut on the rod. You should be good to go.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
In 30 years of reloading I had broke 1 decapping pin, till I got a set of RCBS dies with the new style decapping pin, in 200 rounds I've broke 3, have no idea whats going on, never stuck a case in that die either.
RR
I heard most dies and shell holders now come from the people's republic these days, and not Oroville,CA. Sad state of affairs.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 30 years of reloading I had broke 1 decapping pin, till I got a set of RCBS dies with the new style decapping pin, in 200 rounds I've broke 3, have no idea whats going on, never stuck a case in that die either.
RR
...... Been reloading a LOOONG time... can't remember of ever breaking a pin. Something bent , I think... Not depriming crimped pocket brass are we??
Old 03-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Newbies break stuff

I broke one I recall as a newbie. You didn't think it was normal. But then, newbies don't know.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:13 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Valentine
I broke one I recall as a newbie. You didn't think it was normal. But then, newbies don't know.
It appears you still are a newbie. I mean from your posts that is
Old 03-26-2011, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

338 win mags come with crimped primers? nope
RR

.... I must have missed something... I didn't realize 338 Win Mag was the case at issue..??
Old 03-26-2011, 02:23 PM
Spike

RCBS, Lyman and Redding I have broken decapping pins on all 3!

The only one that has never given grief is Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.