Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

22 hornet

Old 03-06-2011, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

Default 22 hornet

So I'm looking in to picking up a ruger 77/22 in 22 hornet in the near future. my reloading manual talks about it haveing a soft case and useing an M- die to neck expand. Is this a necessity or can I just use the regular die sets? Or would just neck sizing be the answer?
Old 03-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

The .22 Hornet has a short case life. Full length re-sizing further shortens case life. My dies are set to re-size only the case neck.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont know why but ive never expierenced short case life in the hornet, full length sizing too.
got around 13 reloadings and trashed them just because.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

rem cases, 14 gr lil gun, compressed, small rifle primers, 50 gr nosler bt.

Old 03-16-2011, 05:37 AM
Inactive

I shoot a 22 K Hornet, and like Z, have multiple reloadings. Never experienced case problems. I full length re-size. Just make sure your cases are lubed before re-sizing.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:31 PM
Fork Horn

Ok thanks. i'm also wondering how many yards your shooting them out too? are they good for about 150 and still pretty accurate?
Old 03-23-2011, 02:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ruger357w
Ok thanks. i'm also wondering how many yards your shooting them out too? are they good for about 150 and still pretty accurate?
accuracy is more dependant on the gun and not the caliber for the most part.
The hornet shouldnt have any problems out to 200 yds if your gun shoots good.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Smile

If you are to get a hornet get a CZ527 not the 77Hornet. I have a CZ527 in 22 hornet and a 77/22LR and a 77/22WRM so I aim specking from experance thu my 77/LR is a tack driver the 77/22WRM is not and the hornets are natorious for non-accuracy. The CZ is twice the gun and a true mini mauser action the ruger is a rear locking rim fire action not adaquite for the hornet.

I get a 40gr bergerHPV at 2980fps with 12.6grs of Lilgun Sub MOA. A 45 speer SP at 2900fps with the same load. AS CALLED IN SPEERS MANUAL USE ONLY CCI500 small pistol primers. AA1680 works get with fed 205 small rifle primers and 40gr/45gr bullets I used sierras 40gr SP at 2750fps with sub MOA. I use LEE collet neck sizer die and it works great. I made a funnel from a preformed 8" x 1/4 brake line. Cut one end /flare off and incerted it in a powder funnel. Bought for powder funnels non woulf fit the hornet do to its extra thin case(rcbs/lee/wilson/ets)

Next is I sugest getting a 221Fire Ball instead of the hornet for a low report 200/250 yard varmit gun. It has a thicker case and the case life will be much greater.

I picked up the CZ527 with set trigger in 22 hornet at a great disount thats why I have it and love it but suggest the 221FB as a better choice load for accuracy at 222rem velocities or at its higher pressure levels for longer +200 yards stuff.

Last edited by TJEN; 03-25-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I also have the CZ 527 with a single set trigger and love it. I feel in love with the birdseye maple stock:

As of now I am shooting a "V" Max bullet and it is moving out to just over 3100 fps using WC820 powder and is running just under 2" groups at 200 yds.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few 22 Hornet's, and have owned several more over the years. It is a fantastic little round that will do more than you think it will do.

My reloading experience with the 22 Hornet is that basically the 22 Hornet casing has a relatively thin neck. And yes, a weak neck. It is easy to crush a neck with a jacketed bullet in the seating die. So you should take extra care when aligning your bullet. I like the Forster die best for the ultimate bullet alignment in a reloading die.

However I see no need to use an M-Die unless you are going to shoot cast bullets. I see no reason what so ever to need to bell the casing for jacketed bullets. Belling the case will reduce the life of the case. Or at least make annealing mandatory to get good case live. We also shoot cast bulets in our Hornet's and we do bell the mouth, but only slightly, and we do anneal the brass.

I have owned two of the Ruger 22 Hornet's. I was not satisfied with the accuracy in either one of the rifles. I am not a big fan of the Ruger accuracy. But for a hunting rifle it handles extremely well, and the magazine system is second to none. If hunting accuracy is all you are after then the Ruger will suffice, but don't expect much off the bench.

As far as the CZ is concerned. They are a prety nice rifle. They shoot accurate. Only problem I ever had with them was rough machinig of the parts, and rough actions. As well as atrocious triggers. But all that can be remedied.

Personally I would look for a Browning Micro. They make one heck of a rifle if you don't want an American made product.

My two favorite 22 hornet's are my Kimber of Oregon and my TC's. I have a Contender and an Encore barrel. The 22 Hornet is a perfect match for the single shots. Tom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.