Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
best factory cases for reloading centerfire >

best factory cases for reloading centerfire

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

best factory cases for reloading centerfire

Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Best-Lapua followed by Norma.After that they're about even.Try to use case's with the same lot number.They do tend to vary some.
Old 02-25-2011, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Reloader Magazine did an extensive test on 308 brass several years ago. Nosler had the worst brass life but the best accuracy.

Ranked from best brass life to worst below with the number of firings:

Norma 23
Remingtion 19
Laupa 14
Winchester 13
Federal 12
Hornady 11
Nosler 10

They FL sized after each firing with all other factors equal. Neck sizing could totally change the results because the cause of failure was case separation.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
here is a quote from an atricle about Tom Sarver's 1.403" 1000 yards world record group

that takes good brass my friends
RR
That is deffinitely some serious case life! But I buy Remington bulk brass, it is cheap and I get plenty of loadings out of it. In my opinion, for the price Remington brass is good quality. I have never had any problems with them.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:33 AM
Banned

Folks, I have to disagree with Federal brass. I find it the most consistent. Brass only lasts 3 fires. I was given 3000 pieces of once fired gold metal 308win from a gov firing range. So, I don't mind. Problem is rarely with the necks, but primer pockets.

Hornady is aweful. I only got 3-5 fires before cracked necks on my 460S&W. I get over 10-12 with Starline.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

I like the winchester in my 45 Colts and 38s my last load build up for 357 hunting was in armscorp precision. Federal in my sks, government in the 06' and 308s,1950(?)winchester in the 32rem because that's all there is out here,mostly WW in the 9mms cause its what ii pick up.Fiocchi in my 12ga's ,Federals in the 20s,and some odd Russian 303 Brits for the 410. Except when there's something a particular gun likes better. Like Rem brass in the 760 or the Mauser that just feels better w/Seller & Belloit.
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use whatever I can get my hands on and shoot pretty consistant groups regardless.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Winchester has worked well for me. Both by the bag and once used stuff that people have saved for me. Keep the loads within limits and don't stretch the brass too much when sizing and you can get a lot of reloads out of it.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I use whatever I can get my hands on and shoot pretty consistant groups regardless.

Same here. i seldom buy brass, most of my brass is range pickups.

For my accuracy loads i pick one brand of case, weigh each one and segregate by weight. Then the cases are fully prepped. That shrinks groups about .25" compared to unprepped cases. For volume shooting its not worth the hassle.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Lapua and Norma are about the best out there but their quality comes at a price. I have had pretty good luck with reloading Privi Partisan brass as it seems to hold up better than RP and others for the .303 Brit. In other cartridges I have had no issues at all with Rem or Win brass. I have been pretty impressed with Hornady brass and now that they are offering 6.5 Grendel I will have a cheaper alternative to Lapua's $1+ a pop for brass.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Spike

Default Not knocking Laupa or Norma

I prefer to use American brass if for no other reason they are available where ever you go, additionally they are easy to purchase as once fired components either buying on Gunbroker or similar websites. I prefer R-P brass, with that said I have and use W-W & F-C also. I do not like R-P in 30/30 it's to light/thin, the brass weighs 133-140 grns and not very durable. For all the other calibers I load I prefer R-P or W-W in that order. I like to shoot more and spend less, I can do that with American components. William