Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Used Reloading Equipment >

Used Reloading Equipment

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Used Reloading Equipment

Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Spike

Default Used Reloading Equipment

I want to get into reloading (currently have no equipment and little knowledge) and want to find some used equipment. Is there anything that I need to be particuliarly cautious about when looking at used stuff? Anything that I need to stay away from?

Thanks.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

MATCHES!!!
i am going too as well, i almost went and bought a buch of stuff..glad i didnt...i got my hands on some books...started trying to do it mentally 1st. turns out to be a bunch of stuff you should know before you do any "practicing"...like who knew ya shouldnt smoke cigarettes while loading?
anyway, gonna grab the gear this year....a lil arrogant, but i should be able to make some 300wsm right when i get it.
If i woulda got this equipment, and tried from what i thought i know...i'd have a $1300 pos rifle left.(pistol vs rifle powder)
Old 02-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

For the most part handloading equipment will last a lifetime. Shop around but start out with a list of the things you think you need. Nearly all handloading/reloading sites have basic lists of equipment posted somewhere. I would suggest new edition loading books with current available powders and bullets listed in them. I started handloading in 1974 (shotgun shells) and 1977 (metalics) and still have alot of the things I bought back then. As was mentioned its a good idea to read up on it first to decide if its for you.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Fork Horn

C120,
It has always been my own policy that "Why inherit someone else's problems, buy new!" But I don't know how someone could wear-out a press or a set of dies! So I guess if you are going to buy used watch for scratches inside the dies, bent decappers, burrs on edges of dies or rods, rusted dies, heat marks (where they tried to remove a stuck case with a torch!!!), rusted presses and obvious things like I just mentioned. I would, however, buy my scale new!

You wrote: (currently have no equipment and little knowledge)

I believe the your next step should be "no equipment and a BUNCH of knowledge!!! I can not stress enough how fun this hobby can be but also dangerous if you do not give it the respect it deserves! Be safe.
Old 02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off, it would be a help to you to go back to the top of the "Reloading" column and click on the sticky.. "New to reloading? Read this first". It was compiled here several years ago to help people just as yourself get a good start. Above all, READ..... get a good loading manual, and I highly recommend the current Lyman manual. It is not product-specific, and gives excellent step-by-step instructions and explainations. Should you need further assistance, stop by here and ask. The ones who still have at least one good eye and a couple fingers left will be glad to help..
Old 02-06-2011, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

How is the LEE CHALLENGER reloading kit for someone just getting started ?
Old 02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jerry d
How is the LEE CHALLENGER reloading kit for someone just getting started ?
all the research i did lead to rcbs...think it was a pro kit...
http://www.cabelas.com/presses-dies-...:referralID=NA
i know there is some stuff ya dont need, but used i find em on craigslist..like others mentioned, make sure of the quality of the one your buying..ig no rust, everything is straight...go to the store..look over a new set...that way ya have an idea when buyin used stuff.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

RCBS has a very good reloading package for someone that is just starting out. I got this package from my wife several years ago and could not be happier.
I did make one upgrade to my reloading equipment, I added the eletronic power dispenser and eletronic scale.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Spike

I've bought lots of stuff on Craigslist and for the most part been happy with it. You can save a fair amount of money. The one exception is scales, they usually aren't in good condition. Anyway, I use an inexpensive digital scale from Hornady and it works just fine, regardless what the 'ol timers' say. If you buy packages that way just sell the unwanted stuff on Craiglist. On place you can spend a lot on is shell cleaning pieces and parts. Most of it is expensive, noisey and not worth it. Tumblers and sonic stuff is expensive and citric cleaners are a home remedy that works ok and is a lot cheaper. In fact you don't need to clean brass until they get really bad. That's up to you and the clean and polish freaks.

Last edited by CHWS; 02-09-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just an FYI on used handloading equipment. I bought an RCBS JR press back in 1978. I must have loaded tens of thousands of rounds with it. About a year ago I gave it away to a newbie that wanted to get started. There is no doubt in my mind that that press will continue to make accurate and excellent ammo long after that person calls it quits. The 505 scale I got with it, it still works the same as it did then. The 38/357 carbide dies, they still work the same too, same with the .308 Win dies. You have little to fear buying used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.