HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Reloading (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading-15/)
-   -   30-30 Pistol Bullet Choice??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/reloading/339399-30-30-pistol-bullet-choice.html)

shooter50 01-31-2011 07:45 PM

30-30 Pistol Bullet Choice???

A few weeks ago i picked up a T/C Contender pistol chambered in 30-30 with a 14" barrel. After several range sessions I can get the gun to shoot 150gr - 165gr bullets fairly accurate with Hodgdon VARGET. I am a deer hunter and I am leaning towards the 125gr Nosler BT and 125gr Sierra spitzer prohunter. Im having a little trouble getting the 125gr bullets to group but I am going out tomorrow with some loads with H4895 and Hodgdon Benchmark (have several pounds). Hopefully I can get some accuracy out of the 125grainers. What do you guys think as far as for my bullet choice for deer hunting and occasional bear (125gr nosler bt and 125gr sierra prohunter) ?

bigcountryextreme 02-01-2011 05:56 AM

I would opt for much heavier bullet like 150-170gr sierra. With a 30-30, you want wieght and momentum. Its just not a round that lends itself to velocity.

Big Uncle 02-01-2011 06:06 AM

I shoot the same pistol, and think you are on the right track with the lighter bullet for deer. I shoot 130 grain bullets pushed by RL7 and get good expansion on little whitetail deer.

hoghunting 02-01-2011 09:11 AM

The 125 gr BT and PH should work just fine in your Contender. I use a 14" 7-30 Waters Contender with Hornady 120 gr SP, and it works well on deer, hogs, and coyotes. Good luck on your loads.

shooter50 02-02-2011 04:17 PM

Went to range yesterday with 125 gr sierra sp loads with H4895. The accuracy was roughly 1.5" at 75 yards but slightly tightened up with powder increase to 1.125". Im showing no signs of pressure and plan on shooting max charge on saturday and playing with the OAL to try to tighten up the group so I can move on out to 100 yards. I emailed Sierra and they said the 125 gr spitzer Im shooting will be a little hard to get the bullet to expand at 30-30 velocities they reccomend I shoot the deer through the shoulder if I plan to use the bullet or switch to the 125 gr flat nose hollow point. I am planning on chronographing the loads on saturday and email them again. I believe that if I can get the bullet to 2400fps and I believe the bullet should expand, but they know more about the bullets than I do. I know the nosler ballistic tip will open up but I cant stand the ballistic tip (bad experiences). I like a good ole flat base sp bullet and hopefully after i chronograph the loads I will get a better answer from them :poke:(I have several boxes of the bullets and hate to have to spend anymore money, wife gonna kill me!)

bronko22000 02-02-2011 05:35 PM

You may want to check on the Hornady web site. I used to shoot a 7-30 Waters out of my Contender and used Hornady's 120 Single Shot Pistol bullet which had reliable expansion and the lower pistol velocities. They may make them in a 30 cal also for your 30-30.

grizzly 2 02-02-2011 08:35 PM

How far do you plan to shoot deer from. Sometimes we get too wrapped up in the minute details, I know I can. That flat nose bullet sierra is rec, may be alot better in the long run for bringing down your deer faster and the practical difference in ballistics may not be all that bad if it is more effective.

I thought Hornady made a 130 or 135 spitzer for handguns although if I remember right, it also may have trouble expanding at lower velocities. You'll have to ask them.

Wait till you shoot it from the bench at dusk. You'll see the muzzle flash in the scope and the grass in front of the bench will be moving after the shot.

I switched to a 7tcu after the 30-30 and the accuracy was amazing. But I never hunted them.

shooter50 02-03-2011 05:21 PM

My shots will most likely be within 100 yards. Hornaday or
Sierra no longer make the single shot pistol bullets. I do agree with using the flat nose hollow point bullet for bringing down the animal faster, but the cartridge looks so much better with the spitzer:) (kidding) I do plan on contacting sierra again once I chronograph the load and if they suggest the flat nose hollow point and if they still do than that is what I will use. I believe in ethical hunting and I would kill me if I were to lose or injure a deer due to my part.

grizzly 2 02-04-2011 09:15 PM

I know what you mean, the spitzers do look alot better. That's right, I forgot it was a hollowpoint. Never did use it because Illinois wont allow the 30-30 for deer in pistol or rifle . Occassionly I'd take an old 26"octagonal barreled commemorative out coyote hunting, but I think she's sighted in now for a standard flat nose bullet. Used to use it for a steel buffalo shoot where we used the sillouete targets and a homemade buffalo target all at 200 yards and varied positions. I loved the 200 yard chicken from the standing position. I was using a 165gr spitzer pushed as hard as I dared. A gunsmith friend told me to quit listening to the magazine articles and back the load off before I stretched the winchester and ruined my headspaceing if I remember right.

You might want to pick up one of those walking sticks with the cradle on the top. I found it valuable for steading my 7 1/2 blackhawk hunter when I didnt have something to lean against, and I remember shooting the contenders offhand at the Masters years ago at 75 and 100 yards. I think that was the toughest part of the long range event. Oh, and dont ever be tempted to shoot that thing one handed???? I did once at 100 yards, hit the target and never wanted to do it ever again, but I had to know if I could do it again; Yup, one more time, hit it and believe me, never again....

SecondChance 02-06-2011 06:37 PM

I shoot a Lone Eagle with a 14" barrel in 7mmBR and shoot Horn. 120grn Single Shot Pistol bullets and they shoot real good with 4895 and Rel 15. with BR primers. Find out what your maximum overall length is back off .005-.010 and see what that does for ya.