Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
bullet for mountain goat >

bullet for mountain goat

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

bullet for mountain goat

Old 12-15-2010, 07:47 PM
Spike

Default bullet for mountain goat

I am thinking about taking my old mod 70 270 on a goat hunt in AK.
It's a good one for the ruff beating it will take in a skiff in salt water or lashed to a pack.I put a kevlar stock on it and the scope I put on it in high school for $199 is a vxiii 3.5x10x40 OA .Late 70s for you young guys.I need a good load for a goat ,they say can be tough to knock down.Or maybe I should carry one of my heavy mags.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:31 AM
Fork Horn

headhunter353,
Awesome! To answer your question, I would recommend any good quality bullet like the partition, the Grand Slam, or the X bullet. Further, I would recommend a shoulder shot to anchor these bad boys. There is no following blood trails where these guys live. If you don't anchor them they will either throw themselves off the cliff or roll of the cliff. No doubt shattering those trophy horns!

As I said any top quality bullet will do, but I have heard some good recommendations concerning the Barnes X bullet; the all copper one!

By the way where will you be hunting? Southeast? Southcentral? Interior? Wrangalls? Heck, even outside of Anchorage there is some good goat hunting! Out of a skiff is how many folks hunt those things. Usually wait for big snowfall to push them down "closer" to the shoreline! Even then its still, usually, a tough climb to retrieve your prize. You will be getting into shape??

I wish you the best of luck! Be extra safe!!!!!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Spike

Thanks drox ,pws is the place the dates have not been made yet.Do you live there or hunted there be for?This is the time of the year I am in the best shape after hundreds of miles in the passed 90 days starting in wyoming then ohio and pa.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Fork Horn

HH353,
I don't live there anymore; 17 years was enough for me! I lived in Anchorage, but worked in every part of the state except the North Slope. Prince William Sound is a big place, alot of area, many animals. Are you home-basing out of Cordova or Valdez? Awesome area, beautiful landscapes, big water!!! Try to get some halibut fishing in while you are there. The year after I left I heard the Dept of Fish and Game made it mandatory for out-of-staters to have a guide when hunting goats, sheep and brown bears. You have someone in mind?

A bit of advise: Be patient as the weather can be finicky to real bad! Its not unheard of being socked in due to weather for up to a week! Also, try not to shoot the first animal you see as Grampa may be out there just waiting for you to come by and take him to the Big Pasture in the Sky!!

I can't stress enough "Be safe and don't try anything out of your comfort zone"
Old 12-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I believe the 270 would get the job done with a good bullet like the accubond like RR stated. But you also stated you have the option of taking a 'heavier' rifle. If it were me spending my hard earned cash going after one of these tough critters, I would definately take a .30 cal mag with a good 180 bullet. The Accubond or Barnes XTS would be my choice in 180 gr.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Spike

why would you say that the accubond out performs the partition? B.C.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Spike

Default bullet for HV 270 load

it's not fancy, it's not expensive, but it flat out performs well. the good old hornady interlock.

i've got more consistant expansion, better penetration and cleaner kills with those than most of the other bullets i've used.

i would also recommend barnes tripple shock hollow points or berger vld bullets.

as far as powder, you NEED a powder that performs consistantly at all temperatures. i've had probems with some imr powders once it's cold out. i use reloader 19 for mine.

if i were to do this hunt, i'd use my 243 with 36 grains of varget and an 80 gr barnes tipped tripple shock bullet. fast expansion and a lot of shrapnal into the shoulder will stop it from moving... but i LOVE head and spine shots!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

.270 is a great goat cartridge.I use Barnes MRX myself but Nosler Accubondor Partition, ,Hornady Interlock, or SST's, Sierra Gameking offer a great bullets that will get the job done.. When it comes to goat,it ain't about the caliber, it's all about mind over matter..Not only do you have to be in great great shape, you have to be mentally
be prepared as well.. It doesn't matter how prepared you are, when goat hunting, if your mind fails you fail and not only do you fail, you will never Ever!! attempt it again.. It is the hardest hunt you will ever go through it will put you through the ringer, both mentally and physically.. .Good Luck..If you can do this you can do anything you set your mind, body through, reguardless of weather conditions, hieghts,
and shear dropoffs..
Old 02-20-2011, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had great luck with Nosler Partitions and Swift A-Frames.