Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
great hunting bullets >

great hunting bullets

Community
Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

great hunting bullets

Old 12-12-2010, 02:53 PM
Spike

Question great hunting bullets

I am wondering what everyone considers a great hunting bullet? Nosler patition, interlock, game king, interbond? What are your favorite characteristic of your bullet of choice are?
Old 12-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by midminnesota
I am wondering what everyone considers a great hunting bullet?
That's like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge...everyone has their own preferences based on their applications.
For sub-500 yards, I use Nosler and Combined Technoligy Ballistic tips. ONly diff between the two I can tell is the CT is moly coated.
Beyond 500, the Berger VLD seems to be pretty popular.
If you give us a little more information, like caliber, and what you're putting them through, we might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use several different types of bullets just depends on what I going after and which rifle I am shooting. Some are BT's. accubonds, sierra gamekings, and hornady.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:00 PM
Spike

Thats ok if you like chevy and someone likes ford, just state your application. no matter what with these questions there is going to an opinion. I am wanting to know some of your reasons for this?

Originally Posted by DDMPrecision
That's like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge...everyone has their own preferences based on their applications.
For sub-500 yards, I use Nosler and Combined Technoligy Ballistic tips. ONly diff between the two I can tell is the CT is moly coated.
Beyond 500, the Berger VLD seems to be pretty popular.
If you give us a little more information, like caliber, and what you're putting them through, we might be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I perfer Sierra Pro Hunters or Gamekings, also I like Hornady Interlock, these are great bullets with a great price, that are all extremly accurate and i have had great sucsess on game such as deer, bear, and elk. All have performed flawlessly. Years ago Sierra bullets were known as the premium bullet. I find no need for the premium bullets such as Nosler Partitions or even Hornady Interbond for that matter, unless you are shooting velocities over 3000fps and making close shots. I do use Nosler Partitions in my 300 ultra mag because of the excessive velocities it shoots, most 30 caliber bullets were not designed for these volocities and will come apart, this is were the premium bonded and a-framed bullets have a purpose, in my opinion. I am not saying I am correct but that is my thoughts and experences.
Old 12-13-2010, 06:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
In my normal hunting rifles, I shoot a typical cup/core bullet of whatever make the rifle prefers. In my long range rigs I shoot a 160 accubond in my 7mm AM from 0-1500 yards, in my 6.5 Gibbs I run a berger 140 (though I'm not sold on the orange box bergers yet) out to 1100 yardsIn my 348 win I shoot a 250 silvertip with inpressive results.RR
You running those Wildcats yet?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everything I've ever hunted with a rifle can quite easily be taken with a Sierra GK. They are also extremely accurate in anything I have shot them out of.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Fork Horn

I learned a long time ago, bullet choice should be dependent on the game species you intend to hunt. Using "Winchesters" CXP scale has help me decide which bullet would be appropriate for a particular game animal which in turn is dependent on the grain weight that shoots best from the particular rifle I intend to use. That being said, because I only hunt CXP2 game animals at short to medium ranges, the Barnes TTSX or MRX bullets are my first choice because of their exceptional controlled expansion and maximum weight retension. A bullet that retains nearly all of it's original mass / weight, gives you more options to work with during load developement when trying to find the right bullet weight that shoots best in a particular rifle. If my rifle prefers a lighter bullet than what is best suited for it's caliber, I have no problem with using the Barnes bullet in the field. I also enjoy the added velocity the lighter bullet often brings as it usually extends my rifles effective range. In there is no way I can get the Barnes bullet to work I will stand behind the Nosler Accubond, Partition, CT Silver Tip & the Swift Scirocco.

But that's just me!

Last edited by 7MMXBOLT; 12-13-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

What the heck is a CXP2 game animal ? Must be an east coast thing. I have hunted for 45 years, handloaded my own ammo for 37 years and can honestly say I haven't a clue what that is.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Spike

I am fairly partial to Nosler bullets. Probably because when I started re-loading w/ my Dad that is all he would buy, Partitions. His thought was if it aint broke, why tinker with it. He loaded for hunting instead of group size. As I got older I tweeked some of his loads and made them even tighter groups. I now load Partitions, Accu-Bond, and Balistic Tip. Sure I have used different companies over the years, but I always come back to Nosler, nostalgia I guess. I too taylor the bullet to the game bein hunted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.