Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Reloading
Help Needed For .45 ACP >

Help Needed For .45 ACP

Reloading Share techniques for reloading, where to get the hottest in reloading equipment and learn how to reload from fellow hunters.

Help Needed For .45 ACP

Old 12-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Spike

Angry Help Needed For .45 ACP

I recently stared reloading for my 1911. I purchased some Win 230 grain JHP and have had a helluva time reloading them. My dies are an RCBS carbide 3-die set(seating die also performs a taper crimp). I have made sure I have the correct seating plug in. I am belling my cases, but not sure if too little or too much. The steps I take to seat and crimp are as follows:

1. I run a charged case to the top of the stroke and screw the die down until I feel the die touch the case(on thing I have noticed with this process that is unlike when I reload for 9mm is that with the 9 I feel the die stop dead in its tracks when it touches the case. With the 45, the die will keep screwing down).

2. I then lower the case, insert the bullet and run it back to the top of the stroke. I then start screwing down the plug a little at a time while measuring until I get my COAL correct.

3. Then I unplug the plug several turns and start screwing down the die a little at a time and checking my crimp until I am satisfied.

4. Once I am satisfied with the crimp, I then screw down my plug and now I am ready to seat and crimp in one motion. However, when I run the next case and bullet into the die, the cone of the bullet is getting smashed and the wall of the case is buckling.

I loaded about 20 of the same bullets a few weeks ago w/no trouble, now all this crap starts today, so I don't know what the hell I am doing wrong. I can say that it has gotten pretty cold since the previous 20 rounds (I am guessing it's around 40 - 45F in my garage).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jon. sounds like you are doing everything correct. My only thought is that your crimp is too heavy and is holding the bullet too tight for the last few thousands of bullet seating which is causing the case to buckle. Try backing out the die a bit and readjust your seating plug.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:38 AM
Fork Horn

You may have already but double check that all your cases are cut to the same OAL. That is probably the most important step when crimping that many seem to foreget about.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:51 AM
M92
Spike

When I first started reloading I had this same problem with the three die set. Easy fix. Use your three die as if it were a four die. Instead of seating and crimping at the same time use it in two different steps.

If you don't want to do that then cool (but I found that simply using it as a four die ends up saving time in the long run because you save time on the setup). The problem you are having is the die is too far down. If you are going to set the bullet and crimp in the same step then you have to set it up at the same time. You can't set your bullet depth, and then set the crimp, you have to do it at the same time or your die will be screwed down too much and will crush the case.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 AM
Spike

i agree with m92. i used to crimp and seat at the same time. but found to have more issure with what u state especially in handgun reloading for my 357 44 and 45acp. i use a rcbs with the same dies. i just take the extra time to do the extra step to seat first then crimp
Old 12-12-2010, 05:27 AM
Spike

Thanks for all the help, fellas. By looking up some other stuff online last night I think I probably do have my die screwed down too tight. I am going to try the 3-die/4-step process. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:46 AM
M92
Spike

No problem. I hope it all works out for ya. Let me leave ya with a parting bit of advice. Never, NEVER have two open containers of different type powder on your table at the same time. Bad things happen.

What kind of press are ya using?

Last edited by M92; 12-12-2010 at 05:48 AM.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by M92
No problem. I hope it all works out for ya. Let me leave ya with a parting bit of advice. Never, NEVER have two open containers of different type powder on your table at the same time. Bad things happen.

What kind of press are ya using?
Agreed on the powder. I almost made this mistake but caught myself. Right now I only use Bullseye and Varget ( 9mm, 45, and .223), but since I shoot .270 Win too, I will probably have at least one more type of powder entering my home. I leave my shot shells to my uncle to do for me.

Right now I just use a Rock Chucker (I've only been reloading for a few years. My uncle got me started and he recommended is as a great starter kit). It has been a great press, but a guy I go to church with recently bought a Dillon progressive for around $179 (not sure what model) and loves it. I was looking at a video on the RCBS Pro 2000 and it looks like a lot of fun to use. For the most part I'd like to stick with RCBS just because of how they have treated me. I bent a de-capping pin on a die and dropped and broke a point on my de-burring tool and they sent me new ones at no charge at all. With customer service like that, I have a hard time leaving them. That said, my 9mm dies are Lee's and I love them.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 AM
M92
Spike

Originally Posted by TigerJon73
Agreed on the powder. I almost made this mistake but caught myself. Right now I only use Bullseye and Varget ( 9mm, 45, and .223), but since I shoot .270 Win too, I will probably have at least one more type of powder entering my home. I leave my shot shells to my uncle to do for me.

Right now I just use a Rock Chucker (I've only been reloading for a few years. My uncle got me started and he recommended is as a great starter kit). It has been a great press, but a guy I go to church with recently bought a Dillon progressive for around $179 (not sure what model) and loves it. I was looking at a video on the RCBS Pro 2000 and it looks like a lot of fun to use. For the most part I'd like to stick with RCBS just because of how they have treated me. I bent a de-capping pin on a die and dropped and broke a point on my de-burring tool and they sent me new ones at no charge at all. With customer service like that, I have a hard time leaving them. That said, my 9mm dies are Lee's and I love them.
Try out tightgroup for your pistol ammo, Ive had great results with it. Never used bullseye or varget. So I cant speak about them. But Ive found that I get better results when using slower burning powders in rifle cartridges. The fast powders end up burning up too fast and friction takes over slowing down my bullets inhibiting accuracy.

I used to have a Dillion 550, but never really cared for it. IMHO a lot of folks have jumped on the name brand bandwagon. But to each their own. And yes RCBS has great customer service, and because of that I use almost exclusively RCBS gear now. Back when I first got into reloading I was changing over from .45 to .357 mag, and I lost the coil spring for the primer plug. I told em exactly that on the phone, but they didn't even miss a beat, just asked for my address. That's it it was in the mail and at my door two days later.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

Simple fix - lighten up your crimp.
ON a 45ACP, you don't need a lot of crimp - just a light chamfer of the case mouth into the cannelure.
Ease it off, and you should be fine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.